Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What You Should Have Eaten #49


Turkey Cutlets with Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
with Pancetta and Balsamic Vinegar

Tonight’s drink is a Scottish Dreams. I very rarely get the chance to use my Drambuie. It’s a honeyed Scotch, so I guess the closest American equivalent would be American Honey by Wild Turkey. That’s probably the most mainstream, but I think Jack Daniels has a honey whiskey, too.




The drink was okay, but with the juices in it, it just tasted like a fruit drink with a bit of a kick. Just a bit. I could have used more alcohol and less juice. I wonder how long that apricot nectar is going to last in my fridge? I think I’ve had it for a while, but I’ve experienced no ill effects yet.




I hated Brussels sprouts when growing up, but now I love them. Cooked correctly (as they are here, if I do say so myself), they’re absolutely delicious. These were a lot smaller than I remember. If I’m not mistaken, the ones my dad used to fix had to be cut at least in half before eating it. These could be eaten whole, maybe a couple at a time, and you wouldn’t be thought of as a pig.



One of the things I like about my Kroger Marketplace’s deli is that they slice your meat/cheese, show it to you to see if its thickness is acceptable, then they let you snack on that slice. It’s a treat whenever I get some good lunchmeat or cheese. I suspect, though, that the girl behind the counter didn’t realize she was basically offering me raw bacon when she asked if I’d like to munch on the slice of pancetta.



This was an incredible dinner, and except for the sprouts, the kids enjoyed it to. It made enough that I was able to have it for lunch for most of the week. Those are the marks of a successful dinner: tasty and able to be enjoyed later.


Also, in case you've forgotten: When I can remember to add this to the bottom of my posts, I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But when you click ads, I get a little bit of money, and as a single father of three, every penny from every source helps...especially with Christmas bills looming on the horizon. So I’m going to keep this tiny bit of begging at the bottom of my posts, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. The only thing it costs you is time. :) Thanks so much!

No comments: