Thursday, October 20, 2011

What You Should Have Read #46


Last Week’s Comic Book Awesomeness

Amazing Spider-Man #671 – Hot damn. Hot damn hot damn hot damn. I don’t care what the issue is about (big lie), this issue wins because of the cover. Ariel ignited my love of redheads, but Mary Jane kept that fire burning. As for the issue, yeah, good stuff here. I’ve really, really enjoyed this book since “Brand New Day” started, and while “Spider Island” is a big deal, it hasn’t felt as big as “Fear Itself,” which has probably just as many spin-off minis, or “Schism,” which is probably bigger in scope but smaller in scale. Good lead-in, good story, good pace…this just feels good and reads well. And seriously, Mary Jane…amiright?

FF #10 – I’ve enjoyed the slow build-up of Crystal and Ronan’s relationship since, what, the Annihilation stuff? This quote by Ronan just got to me, and I’m happy to realize that yes, I don’t have a cold, cold heart. Romance and happiness are still alive and well inside me. Also, it looks like Hickman is winding this long story of his down. Since he took over duties on Fantastic Four, I’ve been back and forth on my enjoyment of his run. I’ve liked what he’s tried to do, actually bringing something fantastic of scope to this family, but sometimes I’ve been confused and let down by any follow-up. I do believe, though, when all is said and done that I will have enjoyed the story as a whole.


Generation Hope #12 – There’s a lot to like about this issue. Zero’s burgers. Rockslide’s secondary mutation. Velocidad’s admission. Teon’s…statement…well, statementS if I’m being specific. This was some damn fine writing and a great transition into the new direction that the X-Men books are taking.


Shade #1 – I’ve been waiting for this for a LONG time. In my list of favorite comic book runs, James Robinson’s Starman run is on top. I’ve been extremely underwhelmed with everything Robinson has done since (I loved his last JLA issue, though), but I think in everyone’s mind, Starman and Robinson are almost synonymous. And now we’re getting a 12-issue maxi-series focused on this supporting character, a laughable villain with a laughable power. When Robinson got done with him, though, he was so much more. Between his journal entries and the beautiful mini series, we’ve been given tiny nuggets about his past and origin. Now, I’ve only read one interview with Robinson since this series was announced, and he kind of brushes past calling this an origin mini. If we’re to believe the Shade as he’s talk to Mikaal, though, this isn’t going to be an origin. I don’t care. This first issue felt like I was reading Starman again, reading something well-written by Robinson. That made me feel good. Real good. And the way it ended, well, if that’s not a cliffhanger I don’t know what is. It was a wonderful issue on all accounts, and I’m so happy to have it.

No comments: