Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #78


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you want to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
                                                                

Smashing Pumpkins Mix CD

  1. Ava Adore – Adore
  2. Glass’ Theme – Machina II: The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music
  3. Zero – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  4. Here Is No Why – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  5. Bullet with Butterfly Wings – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  6. An Ode to No One – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  7. Muzzle – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  8. Where Boys Fear to Tread – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  9. Bodies – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  10. Pissant - Pisces Iscariot
  11. Cherub Rock – Siamese Dream
  12. Quiet – Siamese Dream
  13. Today – Siamese Dream
  14. Hummer – Siamese Dream
  15. Geek U.S.A. – Siamese Dream
  16. Silverfuck – Siamese Dream

A few notes on the Smashing Pumpkins:

  • I don’t know what happed with Billy Corgan. I don’t know if it was a case of unrealized genius, a man before his time or just a guy who believed the all the hype. I can’t fault the guy for trying new things, for breaking out of the mold that forged his fame, I just know that the more he tried, the less I liked it.
  • I wasn’t aware of the Pumpkins until their second release, Siamese Dream, and yeah, I loved it. Well, I liked part of it. When putting together this mix, I realized just how much I hated Corgan’s voice. There is not a single track on this CD that is included because I like the sound of his voice. It’s all because of the music, mainly the guitars. Siamese Dream was abrasive but beautiful. Corgan’s whiny and nasally voice tends to take me out of it, though. This isn’t something I can listen to to enjoy, it’s something I have to have on in the background or I just have to turn it off as soon as I hear Corgan.
  • Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was a birthday present from my parents when I turned 18. It was extremely hit-and-miss for me, mostly miss. There was too much softness to it. The edge that drew me to Siamese Dream was gone, and you’ll notice that MCatIS is the second of only two of the Pumpkins’ CDs where I’ve included more than one song. It seemed that after this one, Corgan was more interested in making art rather than music. As I said, I can’t fault him for trying new things, I just haven’t liked any of their new music since 1995.






Probably for the rest of the month I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit it out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But my experiment this weekend proved to me that I actually AM making a spot of cash whenever the ads are clicked. So I’m going to put this little disclaimer on the bottom of all my posts for the next month or so, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. Thanks so much!

No comments: