Monday, October 17, 2011

What You Should Have Eaten #41


Super-Grilled Steak Sandwich with Horseradish-Dijon Cream and Spicy Greens

I’m taking liberties with tonight’s cocktail, an Amaro. I’m not mixing, nor do I own a sherry glass. I’m just dumping them in a glass with some ice cubes. My allergies are kicking my ass right now, so I’m not in the mood to fiddle with some precise measurements and mixing. As far as the taste goes, it’s rum and amaretto. If you like the ingredients, you’ll like the drink…and I like the drink.

 
 

I might have gotten the wrong kind of baguette. It was awfully skinny and not really big enough for a good sandwich.

 
 

I really liked this meal, but I learned a couple of things that I’ll have to put into practice next time. First, give the steak about an extra minute on each side on the grill. It was thoroughly cooked, but it was just a smidge too rare for my tastes. Juicy’s what I want, not bloody. Second, slice the steak thinner. And the tomatoes for that matter. I had a difficult time keeping my sandwich together, but maybe a bigger baguette would have helped with that, too.

 
 

The horseradish-Dijon cream was very spicy. I didn’t realize such a small amount (compared to the sour cream) of horseradish would do that. It worked well on the sandwich, but I also used it as dressing for a bit of arugula salad. Wasn’t all that great. My sister ate it, though.

 

For the most part the potatoes were easy, but they didn’t quite turn out like I had hoped. I blame the chunkiness of the brown sugar. Next time I’ll just use a smidge of olive oil and some seasoned salt, skip the brown sugar all together.


No comments: