Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #79


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you want to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
                                                                

Soul Coughing Mix CD

  1. Rolling – El Oso
  2. Misinformed – El Oso
  3. Circles – El Oso
  4. Blame – El Oso
  5. $300 – El Oso
  6. Monster Man – El Oso
  7. I Miss the Girl – El Oso
  8. So Far I Have Not Found the Science – El Oso
  9. Super Bon Bon – Irresistible Bliss
  10. Soft Serve – Irresistible Bliss
  11. White Girl – Irresistible Bliss
  12. Soundtrack to Mary – Irresistible Bliss
  13. 4 Out of 5 – Irresistible Bliss
  14. Disseminated – Irresistible Bliss
  15. Collapse – Irresistible Bliss
  16. Sugar Free Jazz – Ruby Vroom
  17. Casiotone Nation – Ruby Vroom
  18. Blue-Eyed Devil – Ruby Vroom
  19. Bus to Beelzebub – Ruby Vroom
  20. Down to This – Ruby Vroom
  21. Coffee Song (They’ve Got an Awful Lot of Coffee in Brazil) - ???
  22. The Bug - Batman & Robin: Music from and Inspired by the 'Batman & Robin' Motion Picture

A few notes on Soul Coughing:

  • I am by far more of a Mike Doughty fan rather than a Soul Coughing fan, but I obviously do appreciate Soul Coughing. In high school and college I really enjoyed the beat poetry feel of Soul Coughing’s music, but now I usually tend to like my music a bit more straightforward, which is where Doughty is at now.
  • And really, that’s the reason the Soul Coughing tracks aren’t combined with Doughty’s solo stuff: they are just so different. Musically speaking, Soul Coughing seemed to be almost jazz-like with a reliance on sampling and electronics. I think today Doughty’s works would be classified as singer-songwriter and lumped together with the likes of John Mayer or Dave Matthews.
  • I don’t think I ever noticed a movement from one genre to the other. Soul Coughing ended, and Doughty eventually resurfaced with this different style. At least with bands such as Pearl Jam, who sound nothing like they did when they started, you can see a progression, an evolution in style and sound.
  • Because of its eclectic nature, Soul Coughing isn’t something I can pop in and really get into and sing along with. It’s background noise. Enjoyable, but still background noise.





Also, in case you've forgotten: When I can remember to add this to the bottom of my posts, I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit it out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But when you click ads, I get a little bit of money, and as a single father of three, every penny from every source helps...especially with Christmas looming on the horizon. So I’m going to keep this tiny bit of begging at the bottom of my posts, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. The only thing it costs you is time. :) Thanks so much!

No comments: