Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What You Should Have Eaten #42


Tex-Mex Grilled Chicken Casesar

I had a bit too much fun at the 2nd Annual Flying Saucer Beer Fest the previous night, so no cocktail. Just water and Powerade for me tonight.

 

I ran out of chili powder with only about a tablespoon available for the recipe, but I’m not all that worried about it. Less spicy is how I roll.

 

I actually bought some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano instead of substituting parmesan cheese. I figured why the hell not. It was crazy expensive, though, so, yeah, that’ll be my reason for not doing it again in the future.
 

Since I always use the pre-minced garlic in a jar, I don’t buy whole cloves. Had I read the recipe ahead of time I would have realized that I needed a clove to rub around the salad bowl. Oh well, I ended up rubbing it with some of the minced garlic and juice.
 

All of the chili powder went to the chicken, so there was none for the croutons. I did, however, misread the recipe and dumped some garlic in there. I was okay with that.


I knew the kids wouldn’t eat a “fancy” salad, so I tore up some of the romaine for them, drizzled some ranch dressing on it and added some croutons (my daughter loved them, my oldest son not so much). I cut up some of the chicken and put it on the side instead of on the salad. They liked it.


I enjoyed the salad. It was very flavorful without being spicy, and that’s what I’m always worried about when doing anything Tex-Mex. The croutons could have been cooked a smidge longer since some of them weren’t crunchy all the way through, but they still tasted good.


No comments: