Monday, October 10, 2011

What You Should Have Eaten #40


Burly-Man-Size Chicken-Cheddar Barbecued Burgers

Tonight’s drink is a Smith & Wesson. It’s apricot nectar, amaretto and tequila. It’s a very meh drink. The only taste that stands out is the tequila, and that’s not very pronounced. I guess the nectar is dulling the alcohol and the bite of the tequila and amaretto. I was surprised that there isn’t more of a presence from the amaretto since there’s twice as much of it than the tequila.


I bought the ingredients for this meal two weeks ago then ended up not making it. So the meat has been in the freezer, and everything else…well, this isn’t a very involved meal, and it’s perfect for tonight since it’s just me and the kids.


I’m substituting ground turkey for the chicken. Kroger Marketplace didn’t have any. I used to make a great chicken fried rice dish with ground chicken, but I think I always got that from Publix. Maybe I should have gone there.


I also realized that for some reason I didn’t pick up any cheddar cheese. If I had thought to check the fridge before this weekend’s trip to the grocery store I could have solved this problem, but I thought I already had everything. Guess I always need to double-check myself…before I double-wreck myself?


Since it is just me and the kiddos, I decided to go safe with dinner. It’s burgers (I’m not telling them it’s not beef), so I’m going with fries and salad instead of the spicy coleslaw that is paired with the burgers in the cookbook. Nobody here, including me, would eat it. The salad is bagged, and the fries are frozen cheapo shoestring dealies. I’m sprinkling some McCormick Season All on them for a bit of a kick.


I’m adding just a smidge of New Belgium Hoptober Golden Ale.


The ground turkey had thawed, but it was still EXTREMELY cold as I mixed it with the BBQ sauce and beer. And the patties are huge. We’re looking at ½ a pound pre-cooking weight.


I ended up telling the kids that it was a turkey burger, but only after they had taken a few bites and told me how much they liked it. Parker was honest and said that if I had told them before dinner, he wouldn’t have even tried it. He then proceeded to clean his plate.


It was a decent burger, but it in no way compared to a regular hamburger.


Probably for the rest of the month I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit it out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But my experiment this weekend proved to me that I actually AM making a spot of cash whenever the ads are clicked. So I’m going to put this little disclaimer on the bottom of all my posts for the next month or so, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. Thanks so much!

No comments: