Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #77

 My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
                                                                

Sir Mix-A-Lot Mix CD

  1. Monsta Mack – The Beavis and Butthead Experience
  2. One Time’s Got No Case – Mack Daddy
  3. Baby Got Back – Mack Daddy
  4. Lockjaw – Mack Daddy
  5. The Boss is Back – Mack Daddy
  6. Testarossa – Mack Daddy
  7. A Rapper’s Reputation – Mack Daddy
  8. The Jack Back – Mack Daddy
  9. No Holds Barred – Mack Daddy
  10. Man U Luv Ta Hate – Return of the Bumpasauras
  11. Buttermilk Biscuits – Swass
  12. Posse on Broadway – Swass
  13. Swass – Swass
  14. Rippin’ – Swass
  15. Attack on the Stars – Swass
  16. Hip Hop Soldier – Swass
  17. Square Dance Rap - Swass

A few notes on Sir Mix-A-Lot:

  • Sir Mix-A-Lot is one of three (Eminem and Will Smith are the other two) rappers who get their own CDs. Eminem is a white guy, Will Smith sounds like a white guy, and Mix is playfully nasty without sounding anything like 2 Live Crew. I like a little more rap, but there obviously aren’t a lot of acts/performers that I can listen to for an extended period of time. I like a bit of Dr. Dre. I like a bit of Wu Tang. I like a little bit of Jay-Z, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill and others.
  • I have absolutely no idea why I like some and not others. The only thing I can think about right now is quirkiness. Eminem has his fun, and most of my Will Smith stuff is from his Fresh Prince days. Mix definitely has some quirk about him.
  • Had it not been for Kevin Eckert and our mutual enjoyment of “Buttermilk Biscuits” and “Posse on Broadway,” I would not have an entire CD of Sir Mix-A-Lot songs. I remember making a dub of his Swass tape and listening to it over and over again, usually while mowing the lawn. Same goes for Mack Daddy. I really liked both of those albums. After that, though, it was just same-old same-old. I think that’s what ends up being my problem with rap. It’s not that I’m the target market. Well, that’s not ALL it is. It’s that with Jay-Z, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill and others, I hear one song and I’ve heard, well, not all of them, but a lot. And I realize the same can be said of the rock I listen to, but the difference is that I actually LIKE those same-old same-old songs.





Probably for the rest of the month I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit it out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But my experiment this weekend proved to me that I actually AM making a spot of cash whenever the ads are clicked. So I’m going to put this little disclaimer on the bottom of all my posts for the next month or so, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. Thanks so much!

No comments: