Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #66


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Prince Mix CD

  1. 1999 – 1999
  2. Little Red Corvette – 1999
  3. Let’s Pretend We’re Married – 1999
  4. Electric Chair – Batman
  5. Partyman – Batman
  6. Trust – Batman
  7. Batdance – Batman
  8. Let’s Go Crazy – Purple Rain
  9. Darling Nikki – Purple Rain
  10. Housequake – Sign ‘O the Times
  11. Gotta Stop (Messin’ About) – The Hits
  12. Raspberry Beret – The Hits
  13. Kiss – The Hits
  14. 7 – The Hits
  15. Pussy Control

A few notes on Prince:

  • Despite his large catalog, I’m surprised I was able to find enough songs I liked to make up a 60-minute CD. I’ve never been a big fan, and I remember absolutely HATING “When Doves Cry” when I was a kid. Don’t really know why. I don’t mind it now, but I remember really not liking it.
  • When the first Tim Burton Batman movie came out, I was on a big Batman kick. I loved the movie and I was actually reading the comic book (that didn’t last long). For Christmas that year, one of my cousins got me a Batman-themed gift, which included a VHS copy of the movie, a Batman/Converse shoe phone, and this soundtrack. I think it’s the only Prince album I can enjoy all the way through.
  • It might be sacrilege to Prince fans, but I’ve included a couple songs on here only because I like them covered by other people. “Let’s Pretend We’re Married” was covered by Self (click link to listen to the cover), who’s frontman Matt Mahaffey was greatly influenced by Prince. I love love LOVE the Foo Fighter’s cover of “Darling Nikki.” Oh, and what’s that? Self ALSO covered “Gotta Stop (Messin’ About)”? Mahaffey also included his version of the backwards bit from the end of “Darling Nikki” on “Sucker,” one of the songs off his “Breakfast with Girls” album.
  • “Pussy Control” was a staple at Cotton Eyed Joe’s, the go-to club in college.


No comments: