Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What You Should Have Read #34


Last Week’s Awesomeness

Okay, so this was apparently spoiled in the solicits for the first issue of the next Green Lantern series, but I didn’t see it so I didn’t know about it. Even though it was late, I liked the ending of “War of the Green Lanterns.” It was event that didn’t automatically revert to the previous status quo, and apparently a lot of the changes will survive into the new DC Universe. Okay, Johns…you’ve got me sufficiently curious to see where this is going to go in the relaunch. Kudos.


In New Avengers #14, Mockingbird needs something to hit so she can test out her new powers? Can anybody think of anything better to hit than a bunch of Nazis? Didn’t think so.


Damn you, Brian Michael Bendis. You’ve made me cry while reading a comic book, and this is only the second time that’s happened. The first was also a funeral, that of Ted Knight, the Golden Age Starman. And then you went and had that little girl ask Aunt May if she made Spider-Man breakfast like his mommy? Holy shit, that just tore at my heartstrings. Since Ultimate Spider-Man began, long ago when I was in college, it has been my favorite Spider-Man title. Although I’ve always been older than this version of Peter, I’ve connected with him so much more than the 616 version. And now he’s gone. He went out like a hero, and he’ll be remembered as the best of the Ultimate heroes. Kudos, and damn you.


Since I’m fully back into the world of the X-Men, I would have read Schism despite the artist. But it’s drawn by Carlos Pacheco, and he’s probably one of my top three artists, so I’m really excited about it. I’ve been a fan of his work since…Avengers Forever? Turns out I’m more impressed with the story than the art. Something just seems…off about Pacheco’s work here. I loved the script, though. Jason Aaron is doing a great job with Wolverine, and he really captures him here. I don’t like the kid, though. Unless the kid actually turns out to be possessed by Quire, I just don’t like the idea of having a pre-pubescent kid starting wars and being massively evil. Also, how does Prelude to Schism fit into this?


No comments: