Monday, July 11, 2011

What You Should Have Eaten #30


Super Mashers with Steak and Pepper Hash
and Oven-Roasted Veggies


Tonight’s drink is a Waldorf. Pernod, Irish whiskey (Jamesons) and Angostura bitters. Gotta say, I’m not looking forward to it. I’m okay with the whiskey and bitters, but I’m not looking forward to a drink so heavy with Pernod.


I’ve always had a desire to try absinthe, but until recently it was illegal in the U.S. Pernod is a cousin of absinthe, both are aniseed drinks. Pernod is distilled from star anise where absinthe is distilled from wormwood. Aniseed, it turns out, tastes and awful lot like black licorice, and I hate black licorice. If this is what absinthe is going to taste like, then I’m no longer curious about it.

 

 I shattered my standard cocktail glass last night, so now I’m using the giant z-stem cocktail glasses. My drink looks puny in it. Oh my God, it’s awful. It’s like drinking yellow, alcoholic licorice. I'm going to finish it, but I’m not going to be happy about it. I’ll be washing it down with a Schlafly American India Pale Ale.


With most of these Sunday dinners, my sister is eating with me and the kids. Tonight she brought over a bottle of Apothic Red. It’s quite tasty.

 

This meal is very prep heavy. I’ve already been at this for about an hour and a half, and I don’t think I’m close to being done.


What the kids had.


What Katie and I had.


Katie and I thought the dinner was great. The kids didn’t eat a thing. What kid DOESN’T like mashed potatoes and cheese? And my kids LOVE steak! And nobody ate a thing. Sigh.

No comments: