Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #65


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Pink Floyd Mix CD

  1. Learning to Fly – A Momentary Lapse of Reason
  2. On the Turning Away – A Momentary Lapse of Reason
  3. Breathe – The Dark Side of the Moon
  4. Time – The Dark Side of the Moon
  5. Money – The Dark Side of the Moon
  6. Brain Damage – The Dark Side of the Moon
  7. Eclipse – The Dark Side of the Moon
  8. Another Brick in the Wall Part 1 – The Wall
  9. The Happiest Days of Our Lives – The Wall
  10. Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 – The Wall
  11. Young Lust – The Wall
  12. Another Brick in the Wall Part 3 – The Wall
  13. Hey You – The Wall
  14. Comfortably Numb – The Wall
  15. Have a Cigar – Wish You Were Here
  16. Wish You Were Here – Wish You Were Here

A few notes on Pink Floyd:
  • Considering how deep I was into classic rock in high school, I’m a bit sad at what I still like, still hold onto as an adult.
  • This disc was somewhat difficult to make since I had more songs picked out than would fit on one disc, but there weren’t enough songs for two. I ended up cutting out everything I had chosen from The Division Bell, which was the first Pink Floyd CD I ever bought. It was released in the Spring of ’94, just a few short months before I moved from Indiana to Tennessee. I remember weekend visits to Hendersonville with my mom and sister. My dad was living down there while we were finishing up the semester. The three-hour trips there and the three-hour trips back were spent with my seat reclined back, my eyes closed, my headphones on and The Division Bell stuck on a loop.
  • After we moved to Hendersonville (it was a pretty convoluted moved, three weeks spent at my aunt and uncle’s cabin on Kentucky Lake and then a few weeks in a one-bedroom apartment in before our house was finished), Floyd was in Nashville at Vanderbilt. I wanted to go see that show SOOOOO bad, but last-minute tickets for a Pink Floyd arena concert? Yeah, that wasn’t going to happen. Can you imagine how awesome that would have been for my first concert, though? That would have been a MUCH better show than the Hootie and the Blowfish show that ended up being my first concert.
  • Pink Floyd isn’t something I listen to a lot. It’s not something that I can rock out to and really sing along with. This is introspective music. This is music I like having on in the background when I’m doing some deep soul searching, and I’ve really been doing a lot of that the past two years.
  • Finding a good video to use was difficult. It’s an old group, from a time before MTV. Anything I wanted to use had to be live for fan-made. I decided to go with “Comfortably Numb,” which had a video from The Wall, and a fan-made video of “Wish You Were Here” that had the lyrics scrolling with it. That is probably my favorite Floyd song.



No comments: