Monday, March 21, 2011

What You Shoud Have Eaten #23


Seafood Newburg Stoup with Cayenne-Chive-Buttered Corn Toasties

 
 

The drink tonight is a Roulette. Vodka, Campari, orange juice and grenadine. As is the norm with most drinks that contain Campari, it’s very bitter. Nice and drinkable, though.

 

I was distracted while doing prep work for this recipe, so there is a lack of pictures, plus, this ended up taking a while. I also forgot to get the cornbread going, so that didn’t help. Oh yeah, I’m doing some regular cornbread instead of the corn toasties. I couldn’t find the corn toaster pastries that the recipe called for.

 

I don’t like chopping meat. And that includes seafood. Actually, the shrimp was messier than the cod (which I’m using because it was the cheapest of the three selections). Cutting up this stuff was as bad as chopping an onion. My hand still stinks.


This is yet another meal I’m sure my kids won’t eat, so I’m making grilled cheese sandwiches and leftovers for them. They’ll be plenty happy, and they’ll at least eat something.


Clam chowder is a Christmas Eve tradition with my family. I don’t know how it started, but I love it. A mug of clam chowder, a silver dollar-size ham sandwich and the Princess Bride. That’s Christmas Eve for me. After making this, I might have to do clam chowder by scratch this year, see how that goes.


I didn’t put a lot of cayenne pepper in the soup because I don’t eat spicy hot things, but I could still taste it in the soup. I don’t know if I’m just that sensitive to it or if the Old Bay seasoning contributed to it, but it didn’t hinder my enjoyment of this soup.

No comments: