Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #52

My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
Matchbox Twenty Mix CD

  1. How Far We’ve Come – Exiles on Mainstream
  2. All Your Reasons – Exiles on Mainstream
  3. If I Fall – Exiles on Mainstream
  4. Crutch – Mad Season
  5. Last Beautiful Girl – Mad Season
  6. Bent – Mad Season
  7. Feel – More Than You Think You Are
  8. Disease – More Than You Think You Are
  9. Bright Lights – More Than You Think You Are
  10. Unwell – More Than You Think You Are
  11. Soul – More Than You Think You Are
  12. Real World – Yourself of Someone Like You
  13. Long Day – Yourself of Someone Like You
  14. 3 A.M. – Yourself of Someone Like You
  15. Girl Like That – Yourself of Someone Like You
  16. Damn – Yourself of Someone Like You
  17. Smooth – Supernatural [Santana]

A few notes on Matchbox Twenty:
  • I was expecting to do a Maroon 5 mix today, but it turns out I was a song or two short of my 60 minute minimum. I’m a bit surprised that they didn’t make it but Matchbox Twenty did. Well, I mean I was until I went through the songs I had picked out. I REALLY liked Maroon 5’s debut album. Saw them live at Dancin’ in the District in Nashville (after they had moved to the LP Field parking lot) right before they really hit big. They weren’t even the headliners…I think Better Than Ezra was. But after that first album, they took too much of a pop bent that kind of killed any appeal they had.
  • Matchbox Twenty ALMOST didn’t make it. It was the addition of Rob Thomas’s vocals on Santana’s “Smooth” that pushed the CD over the aforementioned 60 minute minimum.
  • I guess I was pretty into “safe” rock or what might have been called college rock when I was in college. Better Than Ezra, Hootie and the Blowfish, Matchbox Twenty…rock without much of an edge to it. Not really my cup of tea anymore, but there’s still plenty of memorable stuff that I like to listen to every now and then.
  • “Damn” from Yourself of Someone Like You was the only song I ever sang karaoke to. It was in a Mexican restaurant in Gallatin during Spring Break of my sophomore year of college. I was there with my girlfriend and a bunch of her friends from work. Those who were old enough (I wasn’t…I was about eight months shy of my 21st birthday) were having huge margaritas, and I don’t know how I convinced myself to get up there without the benefit of liquid courage.
  • I guess this should technically be a Rob Thomas mix instead of Matchbox Twenty since I included the Santana song, but I let it slide this once. I listened to Thomas’s solo CD and hated it. TOO much pop.


No comments: