Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #49

My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Limp Bizkit Mix CD

  1. Pollution – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  2. Counterfeit – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  3. Stuck – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  4. Nobody Loves Me – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  5. Stalemate – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  6. Clunk – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  7. Faith – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  8. Indigo Flow – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  9. Leech [Demo Version] – Three Dollar Bill Y’All
  10. My Generation – Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water
  11. Rollin’ (Air Raid Vehicle) – Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water
  12. Take a Look Around – Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water
  13. Nookie (The Neptunes Remix) – New Old Songs
  14. N 2Gether Now (The Neptunes Remix) – New Old Songs
  15. Eat You Alive – Results May Vary
  16. Behind Blue Eyes – Results May Vary
  17. Break Stuff – Significant Other
  18. Turn Me Loose - ??????
  19. Bring the Noise – Take a Bite Outta Rhyme: A Rock Tribute to Rap

A few notes on Limp Bizkit:
  • This might be the group that I’m most ashamed to like enough of their songs to warrant their own disc. I take a little bit of comfort, though, with the fact that almost half of the songs are from their first album, Three Dollar Bill Y’All. This is, in all honesty, one of my favorite albums, and although I haven’t ranked them (yet), it may be in my top 10. I think it’s got some genuine, raw emotion that anything afterward lacks. It’s just sad that the song that made me check out the album, “Faith,” is the least like any other song included, and it’s the type of pop-oriented rock that ended driving me away from them.
  • Durst is a poor singer and a fair rapper, so it’s mostly the songs with very little “singing” that I tend to like the most.
  • In doing these mix CDs, I’ve tried to stay away from remixed songs. While I like them, they’re almost always inferior to the original. With Limp Bizkit, though, I ended up going with two remixes, both from their remix album New Old Songs, and both remixed by The Neptunes, who I really enjoy. I’m not a big fan of Pharrell’s solo work,  but I love a bunch of N.E.R.D., and he’s a great producer.
  • Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water is about the most ridiculous name for an album.
  • For the video, I thought about including both versions of “Nookie,” but the more I listened to it the more I realized it was that good of a song. At least not a good hard rock, rap-rock, nu-metal (or however it’s classified) song. So I went back to the beginning with “Counterfeit.”


No comments: