Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #48

My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]

Les Miserables Mix CD

  1. Prologue – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  2. Valjean’s Soliloquy (What Have I Done) – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  3. At the End of the Day – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  4. Lovely Ladies – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  5. Who Am I/The Trial – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  6. The Confrontation – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  7. Master of the House – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  8. Look Down – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  9. Stars – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  10. The ABC Café/Red and Black – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  11. Do You Hear the People Sing – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  12. A Heart Full of Love – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  13. One Day More – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  14. At the Barricade (Upon These Stones) – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  15. Little People – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  16. Drink with Me – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  17. Javert’s Suicide – The Complete Symphonic Recordings
  18. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables – The Complete Symphonic Recordings

A few notes on Les Mis:
  • I heard the Original London Cast Recording (double cassette!) before I ever actually saw this musical. My mom didn’t introduce me to much music (pretty much just Billy Joel, the Police, the Eagles and maybe Heart), but this’ll stay with me forever.
  • I saw this twice, both times at TPAC in Nashville. The first time was with my family while I was in high school. The second was with my ex-wife while we were in college (she MAY have still been in high school, but I don’t think so).
  • I get chills whenever I hear songs from this musical. I don’t know why. I’m not a BIG fan of musicals. I might like a song here or there, but I don’t really like to sit through them. I barely like Glee, I liked the Buffy musical episode, and I enjoyed Chicago (the movie, sorry), but that’s about it. I tried watching West Side Story (again, the movie) after mildly enjoying my high school’s performance of it, but I turned it off after about 10 minutes. I’m just drawn to Les Mis.


No comments: