Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What You Should Have Eaten #7


Chicken with Wild Mushroom and Balsamic Cream Sauce


I’m not topping the drink with the bitter orange. I learned my lesson last time. Just a few dashes should do it.


And there goes the vodka. Looks like I’ve got to make another trip to Bluegrass Beverages!


Okay, not as bad as the last drink I had with orange bitters in, but still pretty rough. I ran out of vodka before getting the recommended amount, and I don’t think there was enough lemon juice or triple sec (that’s the orange-flavored liquor I used) to cut down on the bitterness. Still, it’s drinkable, so I shall.


I had the hardest time finding orzo at the grocery store. Not with the rice. Searched the pasta aisle. Wasn’t sure if it was ethnic or not, so I looked in the Hispanic section, then the smaller ethnic areas. Eventually found it with the kosher products.


I wanted to go with fresh mushrooms, I really did, but they were incredibly expensive. The creminis were $6.99/lb., and the shitakes were $9.99/lb.! So I went for prepackaged, and even decided to slice my own shitakes in order to save a few more cents. Yeah, I’m that cheap.


I was surprised at how good this was. Not the chicken or mushrooms; I assumed they’d be good. It was the orzo. I thought I had cooked it too long then let it sit too long waiting for the chicken and mushrooms to finish. Mixed all together, though, it was a pleasant eating experience.


I apologize if future posts may be light on pictures or details. Personal bidniz, donchaknow. I'll do my best to keep these post top-shelf, though. They might be a bit fewer and farther between, but I'll do what I can.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Kosher section??

This looks really tasty and easy to throw together on a weeknight. Is it super creamy? I saw the recipe said 3 teaspoons (or tablespoons?), which doesn't seem too much. Bellies get cranky on too much cream in this household.

Hm. May have to try this out next time I've got chicken breast around.

Rob Rosenblatt said...

Three tablespoons, and it's not all that creamy at all. And really, you mix everything together and the mushrooms and orzo start absorbing it like crazy.