Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #22


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Biffy Clyro CD

Disc 1

  1. Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies – Puzzle
  2. Saturday Superhouse – Puzzle
  3. Who’s Got a Match? – Puzzle
  4. A Whole Child Ago – Puzzle
  5. The Conversation Is – Puzzle
  6. Now I’m Everyone – Puzzle
  7. Semi-Mental – Puzzle
  8. Love Has a Diameter – Puzzle
  9. Get Fucked Stud – Puzzle
  10. Folding Stars – Puzzle
  11. Machines – Puzzle
  12. Joy.Discovery.Invention – Blackened Sky
  13. 27 – Blackened Sky
  14. Toottoottoot – Many of Horror EP
  15. Lonely Revolutins – Many of Horror EP
  16. Buddy Holly – High Voltage

Disc 2

  1. The Captain – Only Revolutions
  2. That Golden Rule – Only Revolutions
  3. Bubbles – Only Revolutions
  4. Shock Shock – Only Revolutions
  5. Many of Horror – Only Revolutions
  6. Boooooom Blast and Ruin – Only Revolutions
  7. Cloud of Stink – Only Revolutions
  8. Sky Demon – Only Revolutions
  9. Prey Hey – That Golden Rule EP
  10. Eye Lids – That Golden Rule EP
  11. Help Me Be Captain – The Captain EP
  12. Once an Empire – The Captain EP
  13. Questions and Answers – The Vertigo of Bliss
  14. Eradicate the Doubt – The Vertigo of Bliss
  15. Toys, Toys, Toys, Choke, Toys, Toys, Toys – The Vertigo of Bliss
  16. Take Me Out – Live on BBC Radio 1

I’m in a bit of a quandary at first because of this mix CD. My first cut puts enough tracks and enough time on the list to make this a double CD. Now, Biffy Clyro isn’t one of my favorite bands, but they do have some killer songs. I knew I’d have most of Puzzle on here, because the CD kicks major ass, but I forgot all about the latest, Only Revolutions. I ended up liking that one a lot, too. Y’know? Eff it, I’m gonna do it. Biffy Clyro will be my second double-disc.

One of the main reasons I wanted to do a regular post like this on the blog was to showcase some of the more obscure music I listen to (and not just Self). It looks like Biffy Clyro is probably the first of such bands. I’ve never heard these guys on the radio. Granted, my choices around Nashville are somewhat limited. I don’t even remember how I became aware of these guys. I think “27” from Blackened Sky was included on a sampler CD I picked up at a used music store somewhere. I don’t know. Anyways, I heard some good rumblings about Puzzle, heard “Who’s Got a Match?” online, and picked up the CD on the basis of that song alone. I wasn’t disappointed.

I think “Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies” is probably the best opening for a CD I’ve ever heard. The way the strings come in soft and then swell into the lead-in by the bass and the staccato punctuations by the orchestra…it’s beautiful and powerful. Then they bring a choir in for backing? Wow. It’s a wonderful, wonderful song, and the momentum doesn’t fade as the CD progresses.

One thing I’ve noticed over the years is how pop or rock music can sometimes neutralize a singer’s nationality. Shirley Manson of Garbage, Elton John, Bono (now, at least, but not necessarily so when U2 was first starting out)…I really can’t tell that they’re not American. But I love how you can really hear the Scottish accent of lead singer Simon Neil. It might be most notable in “Who’s Got a Match.”

Now, if I’m going to be completely honest, I’m not crazy about Biffy Clyro’s earlier stuff. It’s a little too raw for me. But really, Puzzle and Only Revolutions are crazy good. Go to iTunes, go to Amazon, or go to their MySpace or Facebook pages. Just check these guys out and tell me they don’t do anything for you.


Well, this is disappointing. I’m including the video for “Living is a Problem,” but after that description above, you might find the video to be a bit lacking. It seems that the longer intro was cut for the video. :sadface:


And here’s “The Captain” from Only Revolutions. It’s another excellent opening track. This one is reliant on horns rather than strings.

No comments: