Saturday, January 10, 2009

Michelob Amber Bock (Beer Review)

From the label:
“Roasted and caramelized malts, along with choice Bavarian hops, make AmberBock both deliciously rich and remarkably smooth. Our brewmasters believe you won’t find another brew with this much flavor so perfectly easy to drink.”

I have a fondness for this beer, a fondness that has kept me away for it for quite some time. I would say that this is the beer that set me on the road to discovering craft beers. Until I had my first Amber Bock, I was content to guzzle Miller High Life or preferably Miller Genuine Draft. But Amber Bock opened my eyes a bit, and without it, I doubt I would have ever tried Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout, and from there, well, I wouldn’t be reviewing beer at all. But since that first Oatmeal Stout, I don’t think I’ve had an Amber Bock. At first it was because I was all about trying new beers. But then, maybe subconsciously, I think I knew that it would not be able to stand up to my more refined beer palate.

And I was right.

This is a good beer, don’t get me wrong. It definitely has more flavor than your standard American lager, but it’s weak. And there’s no aftertaste. And the aroma is just beer. But what taste it has is pretty darn good. You just have to know when to get it.

For me, this will always be my Chili’s beer. I’ll feel comfortable having a few of these while out because it won’t fill me up. Will I get it at the Flying Saucer? Only if I need to rack up another beer to hit 200.

Regardless of my relatively poor review for Michelob’s line of craft beers, I do have to give them credit. They picked a perfect time to distribute these. With the economy the way it is, beer lovers can at least get a craft beer at a regular domestic price. Sure, you won’t be getting that close to the quality of most craft beers, but you’ll feel a bit better with the money that you save.

No comments: