Saturday, January 10, 2009

Comic Book Reviews for the Week of Dec. 17, 2008 (One-Shots)

Dark Reign: New Nation #1

This is a bit of a primer for some new books that are spinning out of Secret Invasion. We’ve got Nick Fury and his Secret Warriors, and Nick gets some inspiration from Captain America. The Agents of Atlas story threw me at first because last I saw them, they were good guys. It all makes sense now. I would imagine there will be some Namor appearances in this book. I’m not all that excited about the War Machine book. I probably won’t pick it up. I don’t see the draw, really. It’s Punisher with an Iron Man suit. The Skrull Kill Krew story was okay, I just hope the whole series isn’t spent killing cows. I’m not against it, it’ll just get boring. Mockingbird has really piqued my interest. Is she STILL a Skrull? Who’s she working for? We’ll have to see.

Thor: God-Size #1

I’m really loving these Thor specials by Matt Fraction. More than the regular series, actually. They’re really letting me understand a bunch of characters I’m not familiar with. This issue was dedicated to the memory of Skurge, who ended up dying during Walt Simonson’s legendary run. I guess since this issue was referencing current continuity, it’s safe to say that he stayed dead.

What If? Newer Fantastic Four #1

Not a bad issue. It didn’t try to cram too much story into a small issue, so that’s good. There was a definite ending, which doesn’t always happen in these What If books. I was also a fan of the New Fantastic Four, but a lot of that had to do with Art Adams and the great interplay between the characters. We didn’t get either of those in this book. I like how the story stayed very true to the original Infinity Gauntlet mini, but did anyone really think that Wolverine had turned traitor? Nah.

No comments: