Monday, January 5, 2009

Comic Book Reviews for the Week of Dec. 10, 2008 (Limited Series)

Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #2

Now this looks like it’s going to be a good series. Last month I made a comparison between Blue Marvel and Sentry, noting how they were both extremely powerful characters that were written into Marvel’s past. Now a comparison can be made between Blue Marvel and Isaiah Bradley (I think that’s his last name), the black Captain America. Not necessarily their powers or their situations, just that these two black men had very important roles in history, but they were covered up. It didn’t take Tony all that long to dig up the dirt on Adam, though. Let’s see how it’s going to be used.

Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes #2

Well, this was a thoroughly depressing comic. Nothing like suicide and murder in a post-apocalyptic dystopian future to get you going in the morning. While the stories were good, I’d rather read about what’s actually going on in AXM rather than what might have happened.

Civil War: House of M #4

I understand how the mutants took over in the House of M universe, I just don’t understand how there became so many. In the Age of Apocalypse universe, the death of Charles Xavier led to a more level headed Magneto. Really, though, can you blame the guy? I guess there’s no compromising with bigots, though, so diplomacy goes out the window. I guess we’ll see next issue how the HoM universe of yesterday becomes the HoM universe that we were first introduced to.

Final Crisis #5

I have no idea what is going on. Darkseid is back, and I get that. He took the body of Dan Turpin. I’ve got no clue about anything else. Grant Morrison is just getting too weird for me. I love Carlos Pacheco’s artwork, though. I would like to see a lot more of it on a regular basis.

Final Crisis: Revelations #4

So Vandal Savage was Cain all along, or Cain was reborn IN Vandal Savage? This whole damn event is just messing with me. At least Marvel tries to keep theirs somewhat simple. I’m hoping for a great and heaving explanation next issue.

Punisher: War Zone #1

The only time I ever liked the Punisher was when Ennis was writing him humorously, so it’s great to see him and Dillon back (even though Ennis stayed around, but used a totally different writing style). And it really picks up right after that mini, and I’m no worse the wear for not having followed Frank since then. He’s back to nipping the comeback of the Gnucci family in the bud before anything sprouts. Not really any humor this issue, but some decent gore.

Death Defying Devil #1

Continuing some solo stories from Project Superpowers, where some classic heroes were brought back into the mainstream. I would imagine it would be difficult to write a book with a silent main character, hence everyone else explaining everything. I’m not sure if these little spin-offs are on-going series or mini series. I don’t know if there’s enough here for a monthly series, across the whole line not just with the Devil, but I’ll probably stick around as long as Alex Ross is involved.

Trinity #28

I’m just about ready for all the alternate reality wackiness to be over with. I guess we are making some progress in that direction if the Trinity’s friends are starting to get a bit of their personalities back, and they’ve stumbled upon where the trio might be. That part is the more interesting out of the two stories. It’s got the characters using their brains (or at least Alfred is) instead of a bunch of fighting, which is what’s going on in the second part of the issue.

X-Men/Spider-Man #2

I like how the mini is tying very well into the past. Spider-Man is my #1 hero, and the Claremont/Silvestri X-Men (the Australia X-Men) are my favorite team, so this issue was a great treat. It looks like Gage is setting up a pretty good surprise for us, and I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the Kraven that recently showed up in Amazing Spider-Man. And I’m enjoying Alberti’s art. It can be a bit muddy at times, but it’s still very vibrant and exciting.

----------------
Listening to: Beck - Clap Hands
via FoxyTunes

No comments: