Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Michelob Marzen Oktoberfest Style Beer (Beer Review)

From the label:
“A classically brewed copper-colored marzen that displays just the right balance of hoppiness and malt character.”

I will have to say that this brew is a beautiful copper color. Not cloudy at all, the beer is nice and translucent. And I don’t know if it’s because of my glass, but there’s a nice column of carbonation rising from the middle of the glass. If nothing else, it’s a nice effect.

As with the Irish Red, I notice nothing spectacular about the aroma. Of course, I’m really just a craft beer novice. I need to get a Beer for Dummies book and actually find out what my nose is supposed to be sniffing. It’s a lot easier with the darker beers, where there’s more body.

Well, I can tell that this isn’t a normal domestic beer, but, also like the Irish Red, it’s weak. I can definitely tell that the taste I associate with most Oktoberfest beers is there, but it’s very muted. And there’s little to no aftertaste.

I think that if I’m looking to save some money but have to Oktoberfest on my bottle’s label, I’ll pick up this beer. But I’d rather spend a few more bucks and get something that’s fuller in flavor.

No comments: