Monday, November 24, 2008

Comic Book Reviews for the Week of Nov. 12, 2008 (Mini Series)

Anna Mercury #4

I’m not totally sure I know what’s going on. I’m pretty sure the whats and whys of New Ataraxia and Sheol were addressed an issue or two ago, but I just can’t remember...which has made this issue more than a bit confusing. I understand why New Ataraxia is attacking Sheol. I understand that Mercury is helping the resistance. I understand that Mercury is actually from "our" Earth and that she has to be transported somehow to...there...but I either don’t get or don’t know WHAT New Ataraxia and Sheol are. Hopefully it’ll all be cleared up next issue...and I’ll remember what happened in this issue.

Batman: Cacophony #1

"Floyd? My toilet’s on fire over there."

I had to get this. I may be a glutton for punishment, but I just had to. Who knows if the other two issues will ever see the light of day (cough cough Daredevil: Target cough cough), but I’m a Kevin Smith fan. So I thought the story was decent. I thought it was a little cheesy that Smith brought in his own creation, Onomatopoeia, to bust the Joker out of Arkham, but what are you gonna do? I think I’ll enjoy watching Maxie Zeus run like a scared little bitch from the Joker. As for Walt Flanagan’s artwork, wow, no, I didn’t much care for it. I get the Smith likes to give his friends work, it’s what I’d do if I could, but play to their strengths, man. Has he done any comic work before? If not, you start him out on what should be a pretty high-profile story? I don’t think so. Well, it’s only three issues, and there’s a good chance that we won’t see #2 until next year, so maybe he’ll get better by then.

Black Terror #1

Well, that was better than I expected. I think I liked it better than Project Superpowers, the book it’s spinning out of. This book is basically all set-up for Black Terror to rescue his lost sidekick, who is believed to be held captive in the White House. I’ve enjoyed Ross and Krueger’s team ups on the Earth X Saga, and I’m enjoying it here. I also enjoyed Mike Lilly’s artwork. I don’t recall seeing his work prior to this, and it’s not so great that I’ll search out anything he does, but it works very well for this story.

Dead of Night featuring Devil-Slayer #3

Hmm, it’s a Max title, so it might not be in continuity, but does anyone know of the Bloodstone group has ties to Elsa or her dad? I only ask because I don’t follow the characters...but wasn’t Elsa in Nextwave? So Sylva is being chased by Bloodstone, the U.S. Army, demons, and angels? Man, this guy has it bad. It’s too bad I’m enjoying all this crap coming down on him. This is a good little mini (redundant?). I hope we see more of Danny when this is over.

Push #1

I’m not actually sure if this is a mini or an on-going, so I’m just assuming. It wasn’t a bad story, but I’ve got one big problem with it. The team’s changer went in with the target. So the guy who can kill you with his voice comes in and "kills" the target, but doesn’t notice that his orifices aren’t bleeding? Wouldn’t that clue you into something? And why was nobody questioning why H.R. was in the bar in the first place? He was supposed to be outside as cover. Just sloppy writing. And what was Jonah even doing on the mission? He’s in the alley and on the transport home, but we don’t see him again. Like I said, sloppy writing.

The Cleaners #1

I picked this up after really enjoying the Samuel L. Jackson/Eva Mendez movie of the similar name. It looks like there’s a mystery to be had here, but there’s no way of telling which way it will lie. A bunch of blood leads to multiple "donors" leads to runaways leads to The Cleaners...doing what besides cleaning up the mess? Are the private investigators also? Is there a supernatural connection to this? I guess I’ll just have to pick up the next issue to find out.

Dark Tower: Treachery #3

Another great if not short chapter of this part of Roland’s life. These minis have turned out to be a great companion to the seven books. Since it’s been so long since I’ve read the books, I can’t recall if Stephen’s death actually happened, or if the Grapefruit is just showing Roland what will happen. Either way, Jae Lee’s amazing artwork has given us a gruesome picture of his death.

The Stand: Captain Trips #3

It’s weird seeing Lloyd and NOT seeing him as Miguel Ferrera. I like how this adaptation is being done: Aguirre-Sacasa isn’t putting in anything new. All the dialogue and text is lifted straight from the book. It’s just his job to figure out what gets in and what gets cut, and therefore what Mike Perkins should draw. Stu is getting in deep, Frannie had it out with her mom, and Larry is starting to get cabin fever. Oh, and Captain Trips is still making its way across the country. Only two more issues left, and I assume we’ll end with everyone dead.

X-Men: Magneto - Testament #3

My last name is commonly a Jewish name, but I’m Catholic. As far as I know, other than an uncle who married in, I don’t have any Jewish relatives. I say as far as I know because I don’t know really anything past my grandfather, and I don’t really know much about him. My heritage is something I’ve never been that interested in. But now that I think about it, there’s very little doubt in my mind that I probably had Jewish family that were persecuted by the Nazis. Regardless of a family connection or not, this is a very powerful and compelling issue. I’m going to assume that Greg Pak did his research and all the facts are true. There doesn’t even have to be a Marvel connection for this to be a good story. This could be about any Polish Jew family.

----------------
Listening to: Alien Ant Farm - Happy Death Day
via FoxyTunes

No comments: