Monday, January 9, 2012

What You Should Have Eaten #50


Ham and Swiss Crepes with Chopped Salad

As all good conversations tend to do, talk between me and a buddy ended up turning to beer and bacon the other day. He wondered if anybody had brewed a chocolate bacon stout. I Googled it, and this was the second link that popped up. Challenge accepted! Oh, and in case you’re wondering, this brewery has made a stout with chocolate and bacon. I must try it.





I used two bottle of Left Hand Milk Stout for the recipe. It’s what I had in my fridge. That’s why I went with tiny marshmallows instead of the big ones: availability.


 My biggest recommendation for you if you’re going to bake one of these is to make sure you’re got a big mixing bowl; this is a lot of batter. I ended up making the bunt cake and 12 cupcakes with enough batter left over for probably at least six more cupcakes.



After a little Mario Kart and Pokemon with my son, it was time to get started on dinner. Dinner, of course, also means a cocktail. Tonight it was a New Yorker Apple. Calvados (well, Applejack) and red vermouth. It was sweet, but not sugary sweet. I don’t really like mixing with vermouth all that much because of the…offness…of it. Like I said, sweet but not sugary, and it cuts out the bit of any stronger liquor it’s mixed with.



I forgot to take a picture of the recipe. Here’s a link to another blog that’s got it.


I went with one container of red cherry tomatoes instead of two containers, one each of red and yellow, because a) I couldn’t find any yellow and b) they were damned expensive. I also went with a regular cucumber instead of a seedless one. I’ve never had a problem with the seeds in cucumbers, and neither have my kids.


Whenever I splurge on sliced ham from the deli instead of the pre-packaged stuff, I always go with Boar’s Head Maple Glazed Honey Coat Ham. It’s the best lunchmeat I’ve ever had.


I did not enjoy making the crepes. I’m thinking that I used to much batter as I tried to make each one. They were impossible to successfully flip and keep together.


The entire meal was…decent. Good, but I probably wouldn’t take the time to make any of it again. The salad wasn’t what I usually go for. I like leafier lettuces. I agree with the blog I linked to. This would have been much better with spinach instead of watercress, and I’d probably leave the parsley out altogether.


The crepes were good, but they weren’t what I was expecting. I told my kids they would be like thin pancakes, but instead they were like thick omelets. I would have enjoyed them more had they been fully one thing or the other, either pancakes or omelets.


The cake/cupcakes took some getting used to, but in the end I really enjoyed it. The bacon taste is pretty subtle, but you really have to be prepared for it when you’re eating the cake and all of the sudden you bite into a chunk of bacon. Once you get past that shock, though, prepare to enjoy yourself. I didn’t put any of the icing on cupcakes, instead using it all for the cake (which was unusually heavy, something I wasn’t prepared for). I took the cupcakes to work, and they seemed to be a big hit. My kids also really liked it.



Also, in case you've forgotten: When I can remember to add this to the bottom of my posts, I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But when you click ads, I get a little bit of money, and as a single father of three, every penny from every source helps...especially with Christmas bills looming on the horizon. So I’m going to keep this tiny bit of begging at the bottom of my posts, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. The only thing it costs you is time. :) Thanks so much!

2 comments:

Beth F said...

That's some cooking you've been doing. I love crepes but haven't made them in ages. I guess I'm too lazy. LOL. The cocktail looks good too.

Chocolate, bacon, stout? The cake looks like it came out perfectly. I may have to add it my list of recipes to try.

Rob Rosenblatt said...

Thanks, Beth. Single father of three, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to cook like this. And I firmly believe that one of the ingredients to having a good time in the kitchen (especially if it's a new meal that doesn't end all that well) is to cook with a good drink.

This was my first cake like this, and it did come out perfectly. If I ever do this recipe again, I'm going to make sure to crumble the bacon into smaller pieces. We were biting into big chunks of bacon, and it was slightly unsettling.