Friday, January 13, 2012

Is Tony Harris Working on a New JSA Story?

What's my favorite comic book of all time? Why, James Robinson's Starman, of course. Part of the reason I love it so much is Tony Harris' artwork for most of the first 50 issues. His style really gave life to Jack Knight, his family and the look and residents of Opal City. I loved Peter Snejbjerg and thought  he did a wonderful job on the back half of the series, but the book would not have been the same had Tony not helped create this corner of the DC Universe.

When I decided to take the plunge into Twitter however many years ago it was, I made sure to follow both Tony and James, just in case they let slip hints of a new project. I think Robinson has said the idea has since died, but how many old-school Starman fans are still waiting for the rumored Jack-Knight-in-the-Orient tale, regardless of the writer's claim that it's dead?

After Starman, Tony worked on two JSA Elseworlds project, JSA: Liberty File and JSA: Unholy Three, both co-written with Dan Jolley. The main characters were Batman, Hourman and Dr. Mid-Nite, but the two series also feature Superman and most of the other JSA members. The combined story was incredible to read and incredible to look at.

Because of a handful of posts this evening (Friday, January 13, 2011), I've got a warm fuzzy deep inside that makes me think that Mr. Harris is in fact working on another JSA project.


So my wife is flatting color on a page for me and she keeps calling Hourman Minute-man, and Dr. Midnight MoonBoy. Sheesh!

I replied to him with:

Are you working on a new JSA project? LOVED Unholy Three and Liberty File (Starman is a given).

and received a reply of:

heeeeeee heeeeeee!

Either the man is a big tease (possible), or there's another JSA story in the works. I'm going to have to go back and reread those four issue to see what the fates of Hourman and Dr. Mid-Nite were.

I had hoped that some of the pictures he's been posting lately were of Minute-Man and MoonBoy (love it), but it all seems to be from The Further Adventures of the Whistling Skull (which itself looks gruesomely fantastic).

So, let's start this rumor: Tony Harris is working on a new JSA project, possibly an arc for his old pal James Robinson's new series Earth 2, which is where the JSA were relegated to in DC's New 52.

(Images from The Grand Comics Database)

No comments: