Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #84


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

So I finally got a Smart Phone a couple of months ago. I've now got a Spotify account with more than 10,000 songs in various playlists, so I guess I'm done with CDs. I'm going to see this through to the end, though. Well, through Yellowcard, at least. I got a bunch of miscellaneous CDs that contain a bunch of bands with a song or two by each.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you want to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
                                                               

Toadies Mix CD

  1. Buried in You Black Heart – Burden Brothers [Burden Brothers]
  2. Shadow – Burden Brothers [Burden Brothers]
  3. Beautiful Night – Burden Brothers [Burden Brothers]
  4. You’re So God Damn Beautiful – Burden Brothers [Burden Brothers]
  5. Plane Crash – Hell Below, Stars Above
  6. Push the Hand – Hell Below, Stars Above
  7. Little Sin – Hell Below, Stars Above
  8. Motivational – Hell Below, Stars Above
  9. Heel – Hell Below, Stars Above
  10. You’ll Come Down – Hell Below, Stars Above
  11. What We Have We Steal – Hell Below, Stars Above
  12. Sweetness – Hell Below, Stars Above
  13. Hell Below, Stars Above – Hell Below, Stars Above
  14. Mister Love – Rubberneck
  15. Backslider – Rubberneck
  16. Possum Kingdom – Rubberneck
  17. Quitter – Rubberneck
  18. Away – Rubberneck
  19. I Come from the Water – Rubberneck
  20. Tyler – Rubberneck
  21. Happy Face – Rubberneck
  22. Velvet – Rubberneck
  23. I Burn – Rubberneck

A few notes on The Toadies:

  • I’m including the Burden Brothers in this mix because both bands share a lead singer and, really, they sound pretty indistinguishable. I guess this should be a Vaden Todd Lewis mix instead, then.
  • Rubberneck is a very short album. I think it only clocks in at 33 minutes (Wikipedia says 36, so I wasn’t that far off). I remember feeling incredibly cheated the first time I heard it, thinking, “That’s it?” Looking back, though, I’ve gotten more enjoyment from those 36 minutes than from longer releases by other bands.
  • I’ve listened to No Deliverance and Feeler, and Mercy from the Burden Brothers, but nothing on them really grabbed me like these other three releases. All of these are available on Spotify, though, so maybe I’ll be able to gain a better appreciation for them.
  • I’ve ended up using a number of songs from Rubberneck as inspiration for a couple of characters/situations in a book I’m writing. I hope I’ve strayed enough to not be accused of plagiarism, and I’ll change things if I have to, but music has been a HUGE part of my life, and I like to do things like that as my way of saying thanks.
  • I had a chance in high school to go see Bush and The Toadies in concert and passed for some reason. I’m still disappointed in myself for that.








Burden Brothers’ AllMusic entry


Also, in case you've forgotten: When I can remember to add this to the bottom of my posts, I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But when you click ads, I get a little bit of money, and as a single father of three, every penny from every source helps...especially with Christmas looming on the horizon. So I’m going to keep this tiny bit of begging at the bottom of my posts, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. The only thing it costs you is time. :) Thanks so much!

No comments: