Monday, December 19, 2011

What You Should Have Eaten #48


Cumin and Lime Roasted Pork Tenderloin
with Spicy Creamed Corn

Looks like I’ve forgotten to take a picture of the recipes for both the drink and the meal. Sorry about that. I did find the meal online, though, so you can view it here. Andy looky here! It’s the drink recipe, more or less. Same ingredients, but I’m pretty sure the portions are different.


I’m getting to the point in my life where I don’t like wasting time on mediocre things, especially alcohol. I’ve found a great vodka I like (Vikingfjord), a gin that has totally reversed my opinion about gin (New Amsterdam), and now I’ve found my rum. Of course, the rum pictured isn’t it. I picked up a bottle of Oronoco Brazilian rum but put it back because I thought it was too expensive. I ended up picking up this bottle of Treaty Oak Platinum rum, a brand born and bred in Texas. It’s better than Bacardi, but it’s still just rum to me. I did, however, pick up a little airplane bottle of Oronoco as I was checking out. I ended up trying it, and oh my God it was incredible. Very smooth, the faintest hint of vanilla…like the Vikingfjord and New Amsterdam (who I just learned has a vodka, too, so I’ll have to check that out), this is something I can pour over ice and drink straight.


As for the drink itself, it was too sickly sweet. Maybe more rum and less cherry brandy and it’ll be a bit better.


Imagine my surprise/dismay as I was setting out all the ingredients and couldn’t find the tenderloin. Turns out it fell out of one of the grocery bags into the trunk on the way home the previous day and I didn’t notice it. My sister, bless her heart, came through and picked up a replacement one on her way over to the house. There’s one of the perks of having a regular adult dinner guest.


As with anything, I cut out the onion. I also cut the jalapeno dosage in half. I like flavor, not kick.


When I prepare something that doesn’t turn out right or DOES turn out right but just tastes like crap, I’ll be honest about it. But when I make something that ends up being spectacular, you’re going to know about it. This was one such meal.


The meat was incredible. It ended up being ever-so-slightly pink on the inside. It was moist (sorry, Big V) and extremely flavorful. The corn had just the right amount of seasoning to it between the peppers, the garlic and the herbs. The creaminess of the corn is up to the diner’s discretion. If you don’t like it creamy, use a slotted spoon to dish it up. If you DO like your corn a bit creamier, then…don’t.


The kids liked this, too. I kept some corn on the side to prepare without the special trappings. I love it when a meal comes together like this.


Also, in case you've forgotten: When I can remember to add this to the bottom of my posts, I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But when you click ads, I get a little bit of money, and as a single father of three, every penny from every source helps...especially with Christmas looming on the horizon. So I’m going to keep this tiny bit of begging at the bottom of my posts, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. The only thing it costs you is time. :) Thanks so much!

No comments: