Monday, November 21, 2011

What You Should Have Eaten #44


London Broil with Mushroom Vinagrette

The drink with this dinner was a Star Cocktail: Calvados, dry vermouth and Angostura bitters. I have yet to actually spring for a bottle of Calvados, so I substitute with Applejack, an apple brandy made in Virginia. It’s probably a tad harsher than Calvados, but it gets the job done. The next time I need a bottle, though, I’ll probably go with actual Calvados. I’ve been slowing gravitating toward slightly higher-priced, better quality liquors lately.




I usually balk at using the broiler (I tend to set things on fire with it), but this time everything worked out nicely.




I didn’t have any sherry vinegar, so I used 1/8 cup of cooking sherry and 1/8 cup of red wine vinegar. I think it was a passable substitute.




I probably should have cut a minute of cooking time off of each side of the steak. It ended up being a tad tough, but still quite edible. It was a moot point after the mushrooms were added to it, though. The combination of the fungus and meat was great.



Also, in case you've forgotten: When I can remember to add this to the bottom of my posts, I’m going to whore myself out with an impassioned plea: click on the ads. PLEASE click on the ads. I don’t care if you exit out of it immediately or actually look around. This isn’t some professional blog where I believe in the products I’m shilling. These are automatic ads placed by Google. But when you click ads, I get a little bit of money, and as a single father of three, every penny from every source helps...especially with Christmas looming on the horizon. So I’m going to keep this tiny bit of begging at the bottom of my posts, and I hope you’ll take an extra 10 seconds after reading my blog to click on an ad. The only thing it costs you is time. :) Thanks so much!

No comments: