Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What You Should Have Read #37


Last Week’s Comic Book Awesomeness

One of the attractions to Spider-Man has been that despite all his powers, things just NEVER seem to go his way. And now, even though he’s got a great girlfriend, a great job, and is a well-respected hero and member of the Future Foundation and Avengers, things STILL aren’t going his way. I think I’m going to like this event. Carly with powers? Awesome. And the beginning of this issue, when Pete thinks he may have transmitted his powers to her via a little nudge nudge wink wink? That’s awesome.


She can’t get rid of the boxes! It wouldn’t be Deadpool if Deadpool didn’t talk to himself and break the fourth wall. I do like that the boxes are being addressed while he’s in the loony bin, though.


THIS is why I like Brian Michael Bendis. I’m reading a story focusing on Squirrel Girl, and I’m really enjoying it. Never has a super-powered nanny been so important to a story then, well, I guess Agatha Harkness. I like what Bendis is doing with this (formerly) joke character. She successfully proved her worth as a nanny for a couple of Avengers. Now, let’s see what she can really do next issue while the mansion is under Siege (whoops, wrong event).


I’ve really been enjoying the new New Mutants title. When it first started, I was a little disappointed that The Powers That Be were shoehorning the original New Mutants back together under this title. These aren’t new mutants. They’re old mutants. They’re veterans. But for the most part it’s been a very well-written series, and the characters are written with their continuity complete. The writers didn’t go back to just making these the same characters from 25 years ago. As far as this issue goes, I thought it was funny that the X-Men’s super-duper airplane has a warning for a bird strike. Had these birds not been Hela, Norse goddess of death, would they have still destroyed the Blackbird? And is it irony that a bunch of black birds destroyed the Blackbird?


No comments: