Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #69


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
                                                                

Reel Big Fish Mix CD

  1. Somebody Loved Me – Cheer Up
  2. Kiss Me Deadly – Cheer Up
  3. Dress You Up – Duet All Night Long
  4. Lyin’ Ass Bitch – Duet All Night Long
  5. Don’t You Want Me – Duet All Night Long
  6. Say Say Say – Duet All Night Long
  7. Nothin’ But a Good Time – Fame, Fortune and Fornication
  8. Authority Song – Fame, Fortune and Fornication
  9. Brown-Eyed Girl – Fame, Fortune and Fornication
  10. Another F.U. Song – Monkeys for Nothin’ and the Chimps for Free
  11. Hate You – Monkeys for Nothin’ and the Chimps for Free
  12. Sell Out – Turn the Radio Off
  13. She Has a Girlfriend Now – Turn the Radio Off
  14. Beer – Turn the Radio Off
  15. Everything Sucks – Turn the Radio Off
  16. Nothin’ – Turn the Radio Off
  17. Take On Me – Viva La Internet
  18. Hungry Like the Wolf – Viva La Internet
  19. You Don’t Know – Why Do They Rock So Hard
  20. The Set Up (You Need This) – Why Do They Rock So Hard
  21. I Want Your Girlfriend to Be My Girlfriend – Why Do They Rock So Hard
  22. Scott’s a Dork – Why Do They Rock So Hard

A few notes on the Reel Big Fish:

  • I was never a huge fan of ska. I like a bit of RBF, I like a bit of Goldfinger, and I liked a song or two by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I don’t know if it’s a requirement for ska bands, but one of the things I enjoy most about Goldfinger and RBF is their quality cover songs. What can make ‘80s pop songs better? Horns!
  • This group is really fun to sing along with. The music is up and fast and quirky. It sounds raw and unpolished, but that’s not necessarily a negative thing. It adds character to it.
  • My favorite album is the split EP Duet All Night Long with Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer. I really need to do some more research on Zolof, because I love the woman’s voice. But the EP is six well-performed covers.
  • I’m including two videos, one original song and one cover. “Sell Out” is the first RBF song I heard, and it really grabbed me. “Take On Me” isn’t my favorite cover, but it’s the first official cover video I found. I really like their version of “Hungry Like the Wolf” and the little explanation at the beginning of the track.
                                                                                                                             


No comments: