Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What You Should Have Read #36


Last Week’s Comic Book Awesomeness

If there’s anybody who should just stick to cover work, I think it’s Rob Liefeld. Is there anybody out there other than a handful of fans desperately clinging on to the early ‘90s who is screaming for a Liefeld comeback? And what’s more, he’s getting work from DC with their New 52 Hawk and Dove relaunch? Really? Okay, whatever. I won’t be getting Hawk and Dove because Sterling Gates hasn’t done anything that I’ve been interested in, whereas I tend to get just about everything that Robert Kirkman does. If issue #2 of Infinite ever comes out though, it won’t be one of my purchases. I just can’t suffer through the art for Kirkman’s story. I’ve still got Invincible and The Walking Dead, though, so I’m happy.


So what’s the most important thing to take away from the most recent Sinister Six issue? Bane is apparently a very gentle and polite lover. And he looks after kids. Good for him. Good for us all.

 

The first issue of Ultimate fallout made me cry. The next two were pretty much crap. Then we’ve got the oh-so-controversial fourth issue. Jesus Christ people, it’s a comic book! Peter Parker is dead! And now he’s being replaced by a mixed-race kid? Who cares! Will the stories be good? I hope so, and that’s really the only thing that should concern you. Race, gender, sexual preference…these don’t factor into a good comic or a good character. And really, I guess I’m speaking to both sides of the arguments, not just the racist homophobes (who apparently can’t read a press release correctly) who are against the new Spider-Man, but also to anybody who is looking to turn this into a “cause.” It is what it is: Donald Glover finally getting his chance to be Spider-Man. I’m looking forward to the new Ultimate Spider-Man series. I want to see how it’s different and how it’s similar. I want to see how this new kid adjusts to taking up the mantle of probably the most-loved hero in the Ultimate universe. Personally, I think we’re off to a good start. The running gag in this issue was great.


No comments: