My Mix CDs
I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.
Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.
I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.
My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.
Here’s the list guide:
Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
Say Anything Mix CD
- Belt – Is a Real Boy
- Woe – Is a Real Boy
- The Writhing South – Is a Real Boy
- Alive with the Glory of Love – Is a Real Boy
- Yellow Cat/Red Cat – Is a Real Boy
- The Futile – Is a Real Boy
- Spidersong – Is a Real Boy
- An Orgy of Critics – Is a Real Boy
- Every Man Has a Molly – Is a Real Boy
- Slowly Through a Vector – Is a Real Boy
- Chia-Like, I Shall Grow – Is a Real Boy
- I Want to Know Your Plans – Is a Real Boy
- Admit It! – Is a Real Boy
- I Got Your Money – Punk Goes Crunk
- We Will Erase All Life on Earth but Us – For Sale Tour EP
- Slumming It with Johnny – For Sale Tour EP
- Skinny, Mean Man – In Defense of the Genre
- Shiksa (Girlfriend) – In Defense of the Genre
- Died a Jew – In Defense of the Genre
- Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too – Was a Real Boy
- Little Girls – Was a Real Boy
- It’s a Metaphor Fool – Was a Real Boy
- Total Revenge – Was a Real Boy
- Metal Now – Was a Real Boy
- I Will Never Write an Obligatory Song about Being on the Road and Missing Someone – Was a Real Boy
- Fed to Death – Say Anything
- Hate Everyone – Say Anything
- Do Better – Say Anything
- Less Cute – Say Anything
- Crush’d – Say Anything
- She Won’t Follow You – Say Anything
- Death for My Birthday – Say Anything
A few notes on the Say Anything:
- I have no idea how I came across Say Anything. I don’t remember where it came from, but I do remember that the first song I heard was “Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too.” I loved it. It prompted me to search out …Is a Real Boy. Out of all the CDs I’ve had through the years, I can probably count on both hands the ones I can listen to completely. This is one of them. It is an amazing CD that, five years later, I’m still not sick of.
- I think Say Anything can get lumped together with bands like Fall Out Boy, Motion City Soundtrack, Panic at the Disco, etc, but I think there’s more artistry to the lyrics. The music lumps them together, the lyrics set them apart. They seem more honest, more emotional, and I can connect with them easier.
- Since I like the first album so much, I feel bad about liking the subsequent albums less. As opposed to the Foo Fighters, whose albums I like more than the last, I enjoy each Say Anything album a bit less than the previous. I WANT to like each album as much as the first, but I just can’t. Don’t get me wrong, they’re not bad at all…they’re just not as good. That’s just something you run into when you put out such a good CD…expectations are just so high for all the others, and sometimes you just can’t expect to live up to them.
- According to a recent announcement on Say Anything’s website, the band is back in the studio working on a new album. They’ve also got the guy who produced …Is a Real Boy along, so hopefully we’ll get the same kind of energy that drew me to them in the first place.