Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #70


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]
                                                                

Rufus Wainwright Mix CD

  1. Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk – Poses
  2. Do I Disappoint You – Release the Stars
  3. Nobody’s Off the Hook – Release the Stars
  4. Between My Legs – Release the Stars
  5. Tulsa – Release the Stars
  6. Release the Stars – Release the Stars
  7. Puttin’ on the Ritz – Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall
  8. Oh What a World – Want One
  9. I Don’t Know What It Is – Want One
  10. 14th Street – Want One
  11. Beautiful Child – Want One
  12. The One You Love – Want Two
  13. Little Sister – Want Two
  14. Crumb by Crumb – Want Two
  15. Old Whores Diet – Want Two
  16. Across the Universe – I Am Sam Soundtrack
  17. Halleluja – Shrek Soundtrack

A few notes on the Rufus Wainwright:

  • My first exposure to Wainwright was on the Shrek soundtrack, where he sang “Hallelujah.” This is a song that seems to be heavily covered, but this is by far the best version I’ve ever heard. I get chills every time I hear it. It’s just so haunting and beautiful.
  • Although there are only five songs from the album in this mix, I absolutely love Release the Stars. I love the music, the lyrics, the arrangements...everything. I also love the way the title track caps off the album in such a grand way. It starts so simply with just a piano and guitar, then the horns and organ come in, and finally the back-up chorus comes in. It’s just put together so well.
  • A similar praise can be laid on “Oh What a World” from Want One. I think I really like layered songs like these, and I like to be hit on the head with all of the layers.
  • If I were listening to the music by itself, I would not like “Little Sister” from Want Two. I am not a fan of classical music in that style. When Wainwright adds his vocals, though, it’s magical.
  • As for “Old Whores Diet” from the same album, it’s a fun song, but I really can’t stand Antony Hegarty’s voice. It really detracts from the rest of the song when he is singing.
  • I’ve apparently missed All Days Are Nights: Songs For Lulu. I should rectify that.
                                                                                                                             


No comments: