Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #62


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Panic at the Disco Mix CD

  1. The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide Is Press Coverage – A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
  2. London Beckoned Songs About Money Written by Machines – A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
  3. Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off – A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
  4. But It’s Better If You Do – A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
  5. I Write Sins Not Tragedies – A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
  6. There’s a Good Reason These Tables are Numbered Honey You Just Haven’t Thought of It Yet – A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
  7. Build God Then We’ll Talk – A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
  8. We’re So Starving – Pretty Odd
  9. Nine in the Afternoon – Pretty Odd
  10. She’s a Handsome Woman – Pretty Odd
  11. Do You Know What I’m Seeing – Pretty Odd
  12. That Green Gentleman [Things Have Changed] – Pretty Odd
  13. Northern Downpour – Pretty Odd
  14. When the Day Met the Night – Pretty Odd
  15. Pas de Cheval – Pretty Odd
  16. The Piano Knows Something I Don’t Know – Pretty Odd
  17. Behind the Sea – Pretty Odd
  18. She Had the World – Pretty Odd
  19. From a Mountain in the Middle of the Cabins – Pretty Odd
  20. Mad as Rabbits – Pretty Odd
  21. New Perspective – Jennifer’s Body Soundtrack

A few notes on Panic at the Disco:
  • I really liked “I Write Sins Not Tragedies” when it came out, and I ended up being pretty luke warm with the rest of the CD. I think it tried too hard to be clever, to fit into a mold that was wrong for it.
  • Pretty Odd was a vastly superior CD. Everything that felt “off” about the first album is on the mark with this one. The group finally sounds like a band that’s making the music it wants to rather than the music it feels it has to.
  • Ah! I forgot they had a brand new album out. Looks like I know how I’ll be putting these emusic.com credits to use. I wonder if I’ll have to redo the mix?
  • Well, that was disappointing. It sounds like PatD went back to more of a Fever sound rather than sticking with sounding more like Pretty Odd. My two favorite songs off of the disc are “Always” and “Sarah Smiles,” and both are the only ones out of the 10 tracks that remotely resemble the quality of Pretty Odd, but I didn’t really care enough about them to add them to the mix.
  • I enjoyed two things about the movie Jennifer’s Body: 1) lots of Megan Fox. She can’t act, but she’s oh so pretty. 2) A great song from PatD. Here’s the video.


No comments: