Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #60


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Nirvana Mix CD

  1. About a Girl – Bleach
  2. Love Buzz – Bleach
  3. Mr. Moustache – Bleach
  4. Even in His Youth – Hormoaning
  5. Heart-Shaped Box – In Utero
  6. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge – In Utero
  7. Sliver – Incesticide
  8. Been a Son – Incesticide
  9. Turnaround – Incesticide
  10. Molly’s Lips – Incesticide
  11. Son of a Gun – Incesticide
  12. (New Wave) Polly – Incesticide
  13. Aneurysm – Incesticide
  14. Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nevermind
  15. In Bloom – Nevermind
  16. Come As You Are – Nevermind
  17. Breed – Nevermind
  18. Lithium – Nevermind
  19. Territorial Pissings – Nevermind
  20. Drain You – Nevermind
  21. Lounge Act – Nevermind
  22. Stay Away – Nevermind
  23. On a Plain – Nevermind
  24. You Know You’re Right - Nirvana

A few notes on Nirvana:
  • On the first pass, I had just enough songs to make a double-disc. But then I found that I had some doubles, so I had to delete five songs, which put me under the double threshold but well above the limit of one CD. Time to make some difficult choices.
  • I found a copy of Hormoaning at The Great Escape, a used CD shop in Nashville. Bought it for $4.99. Ripped it and sold it on eBay for $50. Awesome.
  • I kept only two songs from Heart-Shaped Box. It’s more depressing than it is angry, and I like the more angry, loud-and-screechy music rather than the depressing loud-and-screechy music.
  • I don’t remember where I was when I heard that Kurt Cobain had killed himself. Other than, “Hey, that famous person who makes some music that I occasionally enjoy is now dead,” I really didn’t register it. And now, the way I look at it is that if THAT hadn’t happened, the Foo Fighters might not have happened. And I LOVE the Foo Fighters.


No comments: