Thursday, February 10, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #47

My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]

Led Zeppelin Mix CD

  1. We’re Gonna Grove – Coda
  2. Over the Hills and Far Away – Houses of the Holy
  3. Dye’r Mak’er – Houses of the Holy
  4. The Ocean – Houses of the Holy
  5. Fool in the Rain – In through the Out Door
  6. Good Times Bad Times – Led Zeppelin
  7. Communication Breakdown – Led Zeppelin
  8. Whole Lotta Love – Led Zeppelin II
  9. Heartbreaker – Led Zeppelin II
  10. Living Loving Maid (She’s Just a Woman) – Led Zeppelin II
  11. Ramble On – Led Zeppelin II
  12. Immigrant Song – Led Zeppelin III
  13. Black Dog – Led Zeppelin IV
  14. Rock and Roll – Led Zeppelin IV
  15. Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin IV
  16. Misty Mountain Hop – Led Zeppelin IV

A few notes on Zep:
  • Besides Clapton and Aerosmith, I think Zep is the only classic group I’ve got represented in my mixes, and it’s the only one who isn’t currently still active. Some groups/performers made it close (The Doors and Hendrix were REALLY close to the 60 minute mark but didn’t quite make it), but I’m really glad Zep made it.
  • I got into Zep late in my classic rock phase, and I think they did a good job of bridging the gap into my alternative phase. They don’t necessarily feel like a “classic rock” group to me.
  • Here’s a fan video I found of “Ramble On” set to the old cartoon of Tolkein’s The Hobbit. Awesome.


No comments: