Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What You Should Have Heard #45

My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]

I’m going to be in a pretty serious crunch at work through the holidays (and after, apparently), so my posts may be more infrequent and contain less content. Of course, seeing as nobody comments on this stuff, I’m probably just doing nothing but blog flogging (also, if that’s not a term yet, I call dibs!).

Kings of Leon Mix CD

  1. Taper Jean Girl – Aha Shake Heartbreak
  2. The Bucket – Aha Shake Heartbreak
  3. Soft – Aha Shake Heartbreak
  4. Knocked Up – Because of the Times
  5. Black Thumbnail – Because of the Times
  6. Fans – Because of the Times
  7. Radioactive – Come Around Sundown
  8. Mary – Come Around Sundown
  9. Sex on Fire – Only by the Night
  10. Use Somebody – Only by the Night
  11. Notion – Only by the Night
  12. Red Morning Light – Youth and Young Manhood
  13. Happy Alone – Youth and Young Manhood
  14. Wasted Time – Youth and Young Manhood
  15. Trani – Youth and Young Manhood
  16. Molly’s Chambers – Youth and Young Manhood
  17. Genius – Youth and Young Manhood

A few notes on the Kings of Leon:
  • At eight seconds shy of 61 minutes, KoL barely made the cut, but I’m so glad they did. It’s taken me quite a while to warm up to these guys because of the lead singer’s voice, but I’ve gotten past that, and now I can enjoy the great music.
  • These’re local guys from Mt. Juliet, TN. After browsing their Wikipedia page, it made me think of this line from a Handsome Boy Modeling School song: “When you have talented men making music it’s something. But when they are from the one family, it’s worth hearing. And what’s more, they’re brothers as well.” Three of ‘em are brothers, the other is a cousin.
  • It’s just damn good rock and roll.



No comments: