Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #36


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Fiona Apple Mix CD

  1. Extraordinary Machine – Extraordinary Machine
  2. Get Him Back – Extraordinary Machine
  3. Better Version of Me – Extraordinary Machine
  4. Tymps (The Sick in the Head Song) – Extraordinary Machine
  5. Window – Extraordinary Machine
  6. Oh Well – Extraordinary Machine
  7. Please Please Please – Extraordinary Machine
  8. Not About Love – Extraordinary Machine
  9. Sleep to Dream – Tidal
  10. Criminal – Tidal
  11. Limp – When the Pawn…
  12. A Mistake – When the Pawn…
  13. Fast As You Can – When the Pawn…
  14. Across the Universe – When the Pawn…

I’ve been a fan of Fiona Apple since Tidal was released the summer I graduated from high school. It’s my least favorite of her three releases, though. The music is good. The lyrics are great. She’s a wonderful piano player. It’s just too, I don’t know if depressing is really the right word I’m looking for, but it’s the best one I’ve got at the moment. I need something a little more upbeat, and this didn’t really cut it.

Her next offering When the Pawn…(did you know that this album once held the Guinness world record for longest album title?) did a bit of a better job, but it was Extraordinary Machine that really grabbed me. I’m always going to love some piano playing with my rock and pop music (Ben Folds, Billy Joel, Andrew W.K., Fluid Ounces, Vanessa Carlton, etc.), and I just get giddy when it’s played so…damn…well. This album gives me more up-tempo and upbeat music with some extraordinary piano playing and songwriting.

Now, I’ll be honest and admit that I downloaded the first version of EM that was leaked onto the Internet, and I loved it. But as mentioned, that was the first version, and it wasn’t the final officially released version. I like both versions, and they’re different enough to really be two different releases, but I think that the official release is the better version. It’s not that it’s cleaner or more polished; the leaked version, if I’m not mistaken, was complete and fully mastered. I just like the official mixes better.

A Billboard article from September states that a new album should be released in Spring 2011. Looking at the various types of music Apple has given us with her three releases, I’ll be curious and excited to see what we’re given with a new release.


With my current geek-love for Zach Galifiniakis, I can’t believe I’m just now finding out about this. Here’s “Not About Love” featuring Chad Farthouse (look it up) himself. Oh, and it’s a pretty damn good song, too.

No comments: