Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What You Should Have Eaten #15


Maple-Cinnamon Pumpkin Pie


This is my first real attempt at baking something since I ruined a tiramisu in college. My strengths have been in main dishes (and cocktails), not desserts. But my kids wanted some pumpkin pie, and I remembered having a recipe that I wanted to try, so here we are.


I decided to go all out and do the crust from scratch since the instructions were included with this recipe. It wasn’t that bad at all. I ended up having to flatten the crust twice since I made it too thin the first time.


I’m worried that the filling is too thin, too soupy, but maybe that’s how it’s supposed to be. This is my first pie, so I guess I should defer to the recipe.


If this goes well, Saturdays might end up being my baking days. I’ll make on Saturday what we’ll have for dessert on Sunday. I like that plan. Mmm, the possibilities are already endless.

I forgot to mention that I had a great helper with me. Parker is in first grade now, so I don’t make him nap in the afternoons like I do the younger two. He loved watching, beating the eggs, getting me ingredients…this is his pie, too.


First time out of the oven was a no-go. The knife most definitely did NOT come out clean. I bumped the temperature up to 380 and put it back in for an additional 15 minutes.


Before it was all said and done, I put the pie back in the over for two more 10-minute go arounds. When I finally decided to keep it out, the knife still didn’t come out perfectly clean, but it was good enough for me.

The house now smells wonderful.

I’m going to have to call this a wonderful success. The filling could have been a smidge thicker, so next time I’d probably go with whole milk (we only have skim in the house) or even some cream, but it was still mighty good. And I’ve only had a piece cold; I might have to put the next one in the microwave for a few seconds to see how it will taste warm.

A friend suggested adding just a smidge of vodka to the crust recipe to make it flakier. I will admit that the crust was a bit dense, but still tasty.

No comments: