Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #32

My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Eminem Mix CD

  1. My Band – D12 World [D12]
  2. Bitch – D12 World [D12]
  3. American Psycho II – D12 World [D12]
  4. Purple Pills – Devil’s Night [D12]
  5. Forgot About Dre – 2001 [Dr. Dre]
  6. She’s the One – The Greatest Hits 2 [Dr. Dre]
  7. Get My Gun – Get the Guns
  8. Go to Sleep – Get the Guns
  9. Without Me – The Eminem Show
  10. My Dad’s Gone Crazy – The Eminem Show
  11. The Way I Am – The Marshall Mathers LP
  12. My Name Is – The Slim Shady LP
  13. Guilty Conscience – The Slim Shady LP
  14. Kids – The Way I Am [CD Single]

I’m not a huge fan of rap. When this whole mix CD shtick is done, I’ll have a miscellaneous rap CD in my car for those few rare songs that I enjoy, but by and large I just don’t care for it. Now, I’ve already got one rap CD made, and this Eminem one will be the second, and my third and final will probably be Will Smith (comprised mostly of tracks from his DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince days). Now, what might tie the Beastie Boys, Eminem, and early, early, early Will Smith together? Fun and irreverence. Sure, this CD will have some rough stuff on it (“Bitch” and “Go to Sleep” most notably), but the majority of it is just fun.

Regardless of what I think about a particular type of music or how an artist lives his personal life, I can still recognize talent, and Marshall Bruce Mathers III is a talented rapper. You may not like what he raps about, but he does it well.


Here’s Eminem with Joel McHale on The Soup from…earlier this year, maybe?


And here he is with D12 doing “My Band.”

No comments: