Thursday, September 16, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #28


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name [Artist if album is by a different artist]


Bush Mix CD

  1. The People That We Love – Golden State
  2. Inflatable – Golden State
  3. Personal Holloway – Razorblade Suitcase
  4. Swallowed – Razorblade Suitcase
  5. Cold Contagious – Razorblade Suitcase
  6. Mouth – Razorblade Suitcase
  7. Everything Zen – Sixteen Stone
  8. Little Things – Sixteen Stone
  9. Comedown – Sixteen Stone
  10. Machinehead – Sixteen Stone
  11. Testosterone – Sixteen Stone
  12. Monkey – Sixteen Stone
  13. Glycerine – Sixteen Stone
  14. Warm Machine – The Science of Things
  15. The Chemicals Between Us – The Science of Things
  16. Letting the Cables Sleep – The Science of Things
  17. Adrenaline (Tweaker Remix) – Unknown Album [Gavin Rossdale]

Bush is very much a band of the ‘90s: heavy guitars with incomprehensible and/or random lyrics. Most, if not all, of Sixteen Stone, their debut album, makes no sense at all. Or if it does, it’s on a level I’m not emotionally deep enough to understand. But as with a bunch of the stuff I listen to, I don’t much care about if the lyrics make sense. I like the combination of the music and the singing; the words are inconsequential. Since every…single…song on the CD made no sense, I always wondered if the disc was nothing more than an experiment to see if lyrics actually mattered to people. To Bush’s fans, I guess they don’t.

It’s a little weird and a little sad, though, that over the course of  Bush’s next three albums, the songs started making more sense, but they were less and less enjoyable. The group broke up following their 2001 release Golden State. They’re apparently reuniting for a show in Southern California later this month with a new album to be released this fall. I’ll be interested to see if they’re going to be relying on nostalgia and same-old same-old like Alice in Chains did or if the guys have learned something new in the past seven years.


Here’s “Adrenaline,” Gavin Rossdale’s solo contribution to the xXx Soundtrack.

No comments: