Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #16


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name


Alien Ant Farm Mix CD

  1. Courage – ANThology
  2. Movie – ANThology
  3. Whisper – ANThology
  4. Attitude – ANThology
  5. Death Day – ANThology
  6. Smooth Criminal – ANThology
  7. 1,000 Days – TruANT
  8. Quiet – TruANT
  9. Glow – TruANT
  10. These Days – TruANT
  11. Goodbye – TruANT
  12. Bad Morning – Up in the Attic
  13. Friday I’m in Love – 50 First Dates Soundtrack
  14. Bug Bits – Spider-Man Soundtrack
  15. Good (For a Woman) – American Pie 2 Soundtrack

Despite putting out three major label CDs, Alien Ant Farm is probably generally regarded as a one-hit wonder, and it’s not even for an original song. Raise your hand if you remember their awesome cover of Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal.” Okay, now put your hand down, you look like an idiot. Seriously, everybody’s looking at you.

Sometimes you know that an artist or group will produce nothing significant or memorable after they land a pretty big hit their first time out. Cisco and “The Thong Song” spring to mind. But I didn’t get that vibe from AAF; I liked them. ANThology was a good CD, and TruANT was a pretty solid follow-up. As you can tell by the number of songs represented from each album, I was less thrilled with Up in the Attic. I just didn’t feel the energy that they exuded from the previous CDs.

I’m cheating a little bit by putting “Friday I’m in Love” on the list, because that’s technically not an AAF song, just a Dryden Mitchell one. As far as I know it’s his only solo work, so I just included it here. I also don't care much for The Cure, but I like this version of the song.


“Smooth Criminal” is by far my favorite song out of the bunch, and it’s got a fun video. See if you can spot all the nods to Michael Jackson.

No comments: