Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #14


My Mix CDs

I’ve got a lot of music but limited space to hold it in, especially in my car. So I’ve gone the old tried-and-true way of making mix CDs to have access to as many bands as possible while driving. I’m going slightly old-school since I’m a bit backwards and have no iPod.

Most of the songs will be more upbeat, with probably only the occasional ballad or slower song included. I like to sing in the car, and the more upbeat songs are more fun to sing.

I’ll be going in alpha-numeric order with these, so if you’re wanting to argue with me about what Weezer songs should be included, you’re going to be waiting for a while.

My only limitations are that I use 80 min. discs, and I’m only going to use one disc per band/artist. I will make exceptions for only my most favorite bands with huge playlists (Foo Fighters and Self, off the top of my head), but I’d really like to boil everything down to just one disc.

Here’s the list guide:

Track # - Song Name - Album Name


Aerosmith Mix CD

  1. Intro – Get a Grip
  2. Eat the Rich – Get a Grip
  3. Get a Grip – Get a Grip
  4. Cryin’ – Get a Grip
  5. Amazing – Get a Grip
  6. Baby Please Don’t Go – Honkin’ on Bobo
  7. Just Push Play – Just Push Play
  8. Jaded – Just Push Play
  9. Pink – Nine Lives
  10. Rag Doll – Permanent Vacation
  11. Dude (Looks Like a Lady) – Permanent Vacation
  12. Hangman Jury – Permanent Vacation
  13. Girl Keeps Coming Apart – Permanent Vacation
  14. Walk This Way – Young Lust: The Aerosmith Anthology
  15. Woman of the World – Get Your Wings
  16. The Train Kept a Rollin’ – Get Your Wings
  17. Sweet Emotion – Toys in the Attic
  18. Dulcimer Stomp/The Other Side – Pump

This is the first mix CD where I really had to cut a lot of songs from the original batch in order to get an 80-minute CD. I’ve liked Aerosmith since Permanent Vacation dropped, but I didn’t really consider myself a fan until Get a Grip. I was in grade school for Permanent Vacation, and at the time my band of choice was Huey Lewis and the News. Then Rag Doll and Dude (Looks Like a Lady) hit, and this began the slow conversion from ‘80s pop to classic rock. I also remember that Aerosmith videos on MTV were part of the reason why my parents wouldn’t let me watch the channel.

Get a Grip holds a lot of sentimental value for me, especially Amazing. There was a girl and an unrequited crush. I remember listening to that song on repeat while falling asleep every night at band camp my sophomore year of high school. I was also very fond of Alicia Silverstone at the time, and she was in, what, three videos from the album? And let’s not forget group frontman Stephen Tyler’s daughter Liv and, unknown at the time, Lost scallywag Josh Holloway.

While I’ve liked most of Aerosmith’s post-rehab work, I’m less thrilled with their earlier work. Of course, Get Your Wings and Toys in the Attic are great, but every other track you’ll find on this mix is from Permanent Vacation and beyond. There’s a distinct difference in the sound between the stuff before Permanent Vacation and after, and I just enjoy and am more accustomed to the latter stuff. That’s why the version of Walk This Way that I included is the Run DMC version and not the original.

Astute readers may also notice that this is the second cover of the Big Joe Williams blues tune Baby Please Don’t Go. I like the song, but I can’t recall if I’ve ever heard the original before.

While I think other bands are more talented, I’d probably list Aerosmith as my favorite “classic” rock band.


Here’s the video for Crazy. Not my favorite song, hell, it didn’t even make the mix cut, but it’s probably my favorite Aerosmith video.

No comments: