Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What You Should Have Heard #1

As I’m getting back into the swing of things with the blog, I want to do more than give my thoughts (which EVERYONE should pay attention to…it’s why I have a blog) on comic books. I want to deconstruct our political system, take on big business, and try to save the world.

Just kidding, I want to tell you what I think about other facets of the entertainment world. After comics, my next step is music. When I first started the blog in 2008 or so, I tried to review a CD each week. I’m not necessarily going to do that, but I’d like to do something with music. So here’s the first installment of What You Should Have Heard.

Whatever Happened to Dynamite Hack?

Who, you ask? If you don’t know the name, you’ve probably at least heard the song they’re best known for. Before grabbing their 2000 release Superfast (just a few weeks ago, actually), I’d only heard their cover of Eazy E’s “Boyz-n-the-Hood.” After fully listening to Superfast (it’s not BAD, per se, just extremely unoriginal), I can understand why the band faded into obscurity after the novelty of their one single fizzled out.

Their MySpace page (yeah, apparently they’re still around) claims that they sound like “nothing you’ve ever heard before or since.” I guess that’s true, unless you’ve ever heard Weezer or Blink 182. Most of Superfast sounds like the lead singer (Mark Morris, maybe?) is desperately trying to sound like Rivers Cuomo or…one of the guys in Blink 182. Not just with the type of song, but vocally. In the pop music world, that’s not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. I mean, you have to just assume that it’s going to happen. You find something that works and you beat it into the ground until the next wave comes along. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, boy bands, Nu-Metal, whatever.

But in 2000 when this CD came out, there was just SOOOO much of this crap to choose from, one quirky single wouldn’t be enough to keep you afloat. And these guys are proof.

Good news, though, for any fans who might still be out there. Dynamite Hack has a MySpace page that claims that the “Hack is Back!” That might hold a little more resonance if the page had been updated or visited by the band after July 2009. And the songs on the site don’t sound any better or any different now than they did 10 years ago. Hell, the first two sound like local (to me) favorites The Features. Eerily like The Features.

So what happened to Dynamite Hack? Who cares. They’re one-hit wonders at best, and that’s what they’ll always be.

Their MySpace
Their Wikipedia Entry
Their Allmusic Entry


No comments: