Monday, January 26, 2009

Something's Gotta Change

If I've got any regular readers of this besides my wife and a handful of friends, you'll notice that updates have been few and far between, and I'm now about a month behind in all of my reviews. With three kids and a sick (but on the mend) wife, things are just falling behind. I want to keep doing the reviews because I enjoy it and they're making me concentrate and analyze what I'm watching/reading. But the backlog is so huge that I think I'm going to have to rethink my schedule, either review less shows and comics per week or, well, or I don't know.

Maybe it'll go more toward general entertainment observations, things I like, trends I see, so on and so forth.


So I guess I'll post this poster. It's an ad for Warren Ellis' latest Avatar Press project, Ignition City. I will get anything with Ellis' name attached to it. He is a comic book pioneer. He doesn't stick with one genre, or one style, or one thing he's comfortable with. He's like a literary scientist who experiments with words and ideas. My second favorite comic book run of all time is his legendary run beginning in the first volume of Stormwatch and ending in the first volume of The Authority. It's a natural, albeit extremely quick, evolution of a superhero team. Planetary is a wonderful dissection of the superhero genre in the guise of an X-Files-ish discovery story. Fell is a twisted cop story told with a cheaper comic with fewer pages. Freak Angels is a free, weekly, 6-page web comic. Global Frequency was a fringe science series. Doktor Sleepless is a...well, I have no idea what Doktor Sleepless is. It's quite trippy.

Let's see how many books this guy has out each month: Doktor Sleepless, Astonishing X-Men, Freak Angels (weekly), Anna Mercury, No Hero, and Gravel. This guy has a crazy work ethic, and he delivers consistently good stories.

If you're too good to read comics, Ellis has a novel out, Crooked Little Vein. It's in my pile of things I need to read, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

So check out Warren Ellis, and check back here to see what happens with the blog. Any thoughts or suggestions?

No comments: