Monday, January 19, 2009

Hitachino Nest White Ale

From the website:
A refreshing mildly hopped Belgian styled beer with a complex flavor of coriander, orange peel, nutmeg. White Ale has won gold medals at several beer conpetition in U.K. and U.S.

First impression: awful aroma. As much as I was expecting an awesome beer when I got my first sniff of the espresso stout, I’m now expecting a truly awful experience with this beer. It doesn’t smell like any type of beer I’ve ever had. It smells like…shampoo. And not a shampoo I’d want to put in my hair. Something possible a dermatologist would prescribe for severe dandruff or some similar scalp ailment.

It doesn’t even have an appealing color. If I recall correctly, the only other white ale I’ve had was by Sam Adams, and it was pretty darn good. It even looked a tad white. This looks like some dishwater that had some lemon dish soap added to it, and it just sat in the sink for a few days.

Wow, now I’m REALLY psyched to drink this!

Well, it’s not terrible, but it’s probably nothing I’ll ever get again. It’s got an undefined fruitiness to it and still hints of shampoo or dish soap (oooh, I hope I burp bubbles!). The taste is up front, in the aftertaste, and it tends to stay on the tongue for a while. No, not the beer for me, and I’ll probably end up nursing this one I have for the rest of the night.

No comments: