Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hancock (Movie Review)

Seriously, I’ve been a Will Smith fan since before I knew his real name. He was my introduction to rap, and I still like listening to DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. I really liked The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire, and I have yet to see him in a movie that I didn’t like, even Wild Wild West. So now he’s playing a superhero? How can I NOT like this?

Well, I did like it. It was a fun movie to watch, and it was kind of nice to see Will Smith play against type. He’s always the fun-loving, wise-cracking good guy. Yeah, he was pretty much a good guy for the whole movie, and he might have cracked wise a bit, but he was definitely not fun loving. I think Hancock would have fit right in with the Authority (non-comic book people Wikipedia it).

One thing that struck me, though, was why? Why did he do it? Was it just some innate sense of good that he had to do? He seemed to hate everything about his life, numbing as much as he could with whiskey, so why even set foot outside his trailer?

Other than that, though, I really enjoyed it. I kept hearing about a twist, and if what I’m thinking was the twist, I guessed that the first time they looked at each other. Of course, I also ruined The Village for my wife halfway through the movie, and I had to bite my tongue during a couple of scenes in Dark Knight.

Overall, this was a good movie with a great cast. Charlize Theron, Jason Bateman, Will Smith...all top notch. Good story, good effects, and a good complement to the other, more traditional comic books movies that came out this year. I plan on watching this again at some point.

----------------
Listening to: Panic at the Disco - Nine in the Afternoon
via FoxyTunes

No comments: