Thursday, December 11, 2008

Comic Book Reviews for the Week of Nov. 26, 2008 (Mini-Series)

Ghost Rider: Danny Ketch #2

Okay, I like how they are portraying Danny as a junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms and even a suicide attempt. I’m not so sure how I feel about the Ghost Rider of different cultures. I understand that it has been introduced that there have been other Ghost Riders in the past, but this just smacks of Spawn and his various past (and future) incarnations. But I guess it does make sense, but it’s still pretty derivative.

Reign in Hell #5

I’m confused on the whole Lobo thing. How long has he been in Hell? How long has a doppelganger been running around? And are we supposed to believe that an enraged Zatanna has any type of shot against him? I wouldn’t think so.

Secret Invasion: Inhumans #4

Not all that surprising of an ending. The good guys won, the bad guys lost. I guess the big news for Inhumans fans is the engagement of Crystal and Ronan (I’m guessing Quicksilver won’t be too pleased about this), Maximus and Black Bolt ruling together, and the alliance with the Kree. As a sometimes spectator of the Inhumans, I’m not that moved by it. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Black Bolt dispatch his Skrull tormentor, though. That was neat.

Secret Invasion: X-Men #4

Mmm, not a bad issue, but really not that original at all. We basically got the mutant version of “War of the Worlds.” And the ending seemed to be straight out of X-Factor’s part of the Fall of the Mutants crossover two decades ago. I didn’t much care for the art, until we got some close-ups. Everything else seemed to be a bit washed out. I’m looking forward to the last issue of Secret Invasion to see how the whole shebang plays out.

The War That Time Forgot #7

This title snuck up on me. I’m familiar with only one or two characters and I’ve got no clue what’s going on, but it’s just a good, engaging story. The giant spiders this issue were a shock, but I guess that’s not much different than the dinosaurs. With everything starting to come to a head, I hope we learn what the hell is going on. Are the aliens studying how these guys fight in order to plan for an attack? Hmm…

True Believers #5

Well, this wasn’t a bad mini. It was actually pretty decent. But the concept seems very limited. Maybe when there is a major event they can hook up with Frontline, but otherwise I don’t see much more use for them than I do for NFL SuperPro.

Unknown Soldier #2

Is this how all of the Unknown Soldiers have been? Is each series/story about a different person, or has the Unknown Soldier always been the same character until now? Eh, it doesn’t matter. This is a great book. It really pulls at your heart then sickens you, and that’s mostly because of the children, their indifference to death met on the road or as soldiers killing nuns. I also like being able to see Soldier’s hallucination. He doesn’t inherently know how to fight; he’s being told. I’m looking forward to him kicking some ass next issue.

No comments: