Friday, November 7, 2008

The Incredible Hulk (Movie Review)

I didn’t think the previous movie was a travesty, but I didn’t think it was all that great. It was just a little too cerebral for a Hulk movie. You see a movie about the Hulk, you want to see him beating the crap out of things. A lot of things.

I like that this isn’t an origin movie. We get the gist of what happened during the opening credits. In movies like Iron Man, Batman Begins or Spider-Man, an origin story is necessary for the first movie. It’s not just a transformation. Things have to be built, things like costumes, boot jets, capes, etc. For me, a lot of enjoyment from those movies was seeing bits and pieces of things become the final product, and the trial and error moments are usually rife with comedic potential. With the Hulk, Banner just turns into a giant monster. There’s nothing to build, no costumes to create, nothing. So let’s get past the origin as quickly as possible and get to the action.

I like the little things. He watches Sesame Street to learn Portuguese. He’s learning how to control his anger by learning how to control his breathing. He’s a physicist who works as a janitor in a bottling factory. "Don’t make me hungry. You wouldn’t like me when I’m hungry." Good stuff, and not the only nod to the TV show. The first time Banner Hulks out, the shot of his face reminds us of Bill Bixby, and we even get the walking music. And let’s not forget Lou Ferigno’s cameo.

And we’re staying a bit true to the comics, too, what with the anonymous "conversations" between Misters Blue and Green. Nice touch there for the fans, especially if Mr. Blue turns out to be the same person. Oh, and the purple pants! Heh, purple pants indeed. You want another Easter egg for the comic fans? Okay, one of the college students who gets video of the Hulk fighting the military on campus is named Jim Wilson, who is one of the Hulk’s best friends in the comic.

Stan Lee’s cameo this time was very obvious and probably the longest bit he’s had in a Marvel movie. Good for him.

I think Ed Norton and Tim Roth were well cast. I like that Blonsky (Roth) was more of a super soldier before becoming the Abomination. And he was bad ass as a super solder. His arrogance as he stood up to the Hulk was just so ballsy that you almost expected him to have half a chance...that is until the Hulk kicked him into a tree.

I liked Blonsky’s transformation from a soldier to a monster, plus the introduction of Dr. Sterns and the obvious villain for the sequel...if they decide to make one, that is. And Mr. Blue didn’t end up being his comic book counterpart, but there were a few more moments that made me geek out a bit: Hulk putting the fire out with a clap of his hands, Hulk stomping the ground with a foot, thus cracking the street all the way to the Abomination, and of course, "Hulk smash!"

Although I wasn’t as against the last Hulk movie as a lot of comic book purists were, this movie was greater by leaps and bounds. I’ve heard mixed rumors regarding a possible sequel, but I think it would be a shame if Dr. Sterns’ character wasn’t followed up on. If you like action movies with monsters fighting and causing a lot of property damage, then this is the movie for you.

----------------
Listening to: Panic at the Disco - That Green Gentleman (Things Have Changed)
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

Thea said...

I finally got a chance to watch this movie over the weekend--and yeah, gotta agree with you on all counts. I'm one of the few that actually liked the first Hulk movie (yes, I realize this makes me a pariah to the Hulk fan community and moviegoers in general) *ducks glares* Even if it wasn't a loyal interpretation, I felt the acting was pretty good. Very emotional, and I like Eric Bana and Jennifer Connely.

So...I decided to wait until I could rent the dvd for this one. I was surprised by how much I liked it! I love that it wasn't another origin story, definitely. And all the little cameos and shoutouts were awesome (though I know I missed many, since I'm not very well versed with the Hulk)--i.e. the purple pants, the Lou Ferrigno appearance, the letter at the end of the film that is addressed to "David B."...very cool. There was a whole lot of cheese so far as Betty and Bruce are involved, but so what? That last fight scene with Hulk and Abomination was brilliant and worth the rental in itself.

"Any last words?"

"HULK SMASH!"

Aaaa, I did a little joyful cheer :p

Ed Norton did a fine job, as did William Hurt (hard to recognize him with that mustache!) and the under-appreciated Tim Roth (on a sidenote, I thought I heard a 'Mr. Pink' thrown out in the movie somewhere, ala Reservoir Dogs? Maybe I'm just imagining things). Liv Tyler is annoying, but what can you do with wet blanket Betty? All in all, a pretty solid film. Oh, and I love the Stark/S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff, especially the scene at the end. I can't wait to see when all these films tie together (are they planning an overlap with Wolverine next year, I wonder?)

Rob Rosenblatt said...

I didn't catch the Mr. Pink reference, but that just gives me an excuse to watch the movie again.

As far as I know, we'll get a Thor film (directed by Kenneth Branagh), another Iron Man film (with Don Cheadle replacing Terrance Howard), possibly an Ant-Man film, and these will be followed by a Captain America film, which will take place in WWII and will almost surely end with him in some sort of suspended animation...because it will be the prequel to the Avengers movie, and I assume it'll begin with the finding of the suspended Captain America. No Spidey crossover, and no X-Men crossover. Wolverine will stand on its own (I'm really liking the choice of Liev Shriber as Sabertooth, replacing Tyler Mane), and the Magneto movie (I think it's still a go) will be an origin story.

Or so I've read. :)

Thea said...

As far as I know, we'll get a Thor film (directed by Kenneth Branagh),

Holy crow! I had no idea--Kenneth Branagh!? This will be amazing!


another Iron Man film (with Don Cheadle replacing Terrance Howard),

Yeah I heard about that (hmm was it here? I have a faulty memory!), something about salary demands, right? It's a shame, since Terrence Howard seems a better fit for War Machine than Don Cheadle (although Don Cheadle is an amazing actor)...

possibly an Ant-Man film, and these will be followed by a Captain America film, which will take place in WWII and will almost surely end with him in some sort of suspended animation...because it will be the prequel to the Avengers movie, and I assume it'll begin with the finding of the suspended Captain America.

Hiyo! Well, color me excited. Talk about a mammoth effort--I cannot wait. I wonder who will be cast for all these roles?

Wolverine will stand on its own (I'm really liking the choice of Liev Shriber as Sabertooth, replacing Tyler Mane), and the Magneto movie (I think it's still a go) will be an origin story.

Oh, agree on Sabertooth, definitely. Although...I'm a little pissy over the Gambit pick (I had my heart set on Josh Holloway). Can't win 'em all, I suppose ;)

Rob Rosenblatt said...

About Thor, I think I've read some online grumbling with people worried that Branagh may pull an Ang Lee and try and make this a cerebral Thor movie. [shrugs]

I'm going to have to IMDB Gambit for the Wolverine movie just to make sure I've got everything straight in my head. Holloway is Sawyer on Lost, correct? And one of the kids from Friday Night Lights is who they got? [checks IMDB...]

Apparently Wolverine, like Magneto, will be an origin story. It's working title right now is X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Okay, yeah, I'd much rather have Sawyer than Tim Riggins. Heck, Sawyer is kind of a poor man's Gambit anyways. Besides Shreiber, I'm also excited about Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool (I can't think of a more perfect fit) and Dominic Monaghan as Beak (although I can't imagine why Beak is in the movie).

I do wish they would have been able to get Brian Cox back as Stryker, but I guess he'd be too old for an origin story.

Thea said...

Yep, Josh Holloway is Sawyer--really, it's a brilliant fit. I read that back for X-3, when Gambit had a minuscule appearance and a few lines, Josh read for the part (although he didn't get it, and Gambit was cut anyways). Ana (my blog partner) and I are huge LOST geeks...and one fan over on the boards posted this:

Sawyer as Gambit

Oh well. I won't judge the Friday Night Lights kid too harshly, I'm sure he'll do a good job. And yeah, gotta agree--the rest of the casting (Deadpool, hell yes!) looks wonderful.

As for Branagh pulling a "You won't like me when I'm Ang Lee"...I think he can pull off a sick Thor. He's definitely got that flair for the dramatic that should work well, I hope!

I'm impressed with how many films Marvel has going.