Sunday, November 16, 2008

Comic Book Reviews for the Week of Nov. 5, 2008 (On-Going Series)

New format this week. Rather than "rate" the books I read, I've got them divided up by type of book (on-going, mini-series, or special/one-shot). Let's see how this works.

Amazing Spider-Man #576

I like that Spidey had to use at least a bit of his brains to defeat Hammerhead. I was under the impression, though, that his entire skeleton had been reinforced. If not, then how exactly does he walk around with that incredibly heavy noggin of his? I like this new Hammerhead, and I hope we see him around more. I also like this new reporter. She’s cute and feisty and spunky and a smart ass. Just enough of MJ’s personality to win back all the BND haters, with a bit of Gwen (she’s blonde…maybe I’m reaching) thrown in for good measure. Next week is the Punisher, but I’m not sure which writer we get and I’m too lazy to look it up on the web. I’m digging Joe Kelly so far, though. I’m glad he’s on board.

Gigantic #1

I’ve heard lots of good things about Rick Remender, but that’s after his series have been going for a while, so I thought I’d get in on this one with the first issue. This issue gives us the basics, just enough to get us wondering what exactly is going on so we’ll come back next issue. Apparently Earth was created as a television show/station. All of the sudden some giant robot/alien shows up, accidentally kills a bunch of people (which he feels badly about), and is followed some alien cops or bounty hunters or somesuch. Why is he being chased? Why did he blow up? What will happen in the next episode/issue? I’ll let you know in a month.

Invincible Iron Man #7

“Doing well since leaving Stark?”
“I’m okay…”
“Hear you’re taking pictures for a website.”
“Um…”
“Great career move there, guy.”

Okay, I think this is the first time since Brand New Day began that something that linked Peter Parker to Tony Stark (and not Spider-Man to Iron Man via the Avengers) was mentioned. So he did work for Tony, that much is still good. Too bad we had to get this nugget in Iron Man’s book and not Spider-Man’s. I think Matt Fraction needs to be in on the Spider-Man brain-trust. He captured the guy perfectly. And the interaction between Tony and Peter harkened right back to pre-Civil War days when they were all buddy-buddy. This is just me, but I liked it when everyone knew who Spidey was. It was new and it was interesting. I think, even in the midst of Brand New Day, there are still stories to be told from that, and I would think Iron Man would figure heavily into it what with Tony being a mentor to Peter and all. Wow, from reading this you might think this was actually a Spider-Man book. It’s not. It’s an excellent Iron Man book. Matt Fraction is just doing gang-busters on this title, and Salvador Larroca is definitely on top of his game.

Justice Society of America #20

Since Alex Ross is by far my favorite artist, I’ve been thrilled to see him working on the Justice Society covers. I have to admit, though, I think there are just a few too many characters. It’s starting to get a bit confusing, especially with Power Girl’s origin being explored/retconned/destroyed. There’s just so much going on that it’s a bit difficult to fully keep up. But I’m trying, and it’s still a good read once things click for me.

Secret Six #3

“Our hostage bit me, do you see? See where she broke the skin? Then she spat at me. She’s captured my heart, fellows. And I have been keeping the perfect dowry in my freezer at home!”

Seriously? A get out of Hell free card? That’s awesome! I’m loving the interaction between these guys, and riding away on the horses was a nice touch. Villains sure can be a lot of fun.

Top 10: Season 2 #2

I think I really need to go back and read all the ABC books. This is a really engaging series, and while it is doing a relatively good job at being new reader friendly, you can tell there’s so much that’s been missed. This issue mostly focuses on Irma Geddon and her mental state following her partner’s death. From what few nuggets were dropped about those circumstances, it sound like it would be an interesting story.

Trinity #23

Okay, Busiek has found his groove. I like what he’s doing with the absence of the Trinity: the world is trying to replace them. Pretty damn neat. And Bagley has found his DC groove. It’s great that he’s getting to draw just about everyone in the universe. I think the shit is about to hit the fan, too, what with Despero heading to Earth, John Stewart being corrupted by a Qwardian entity (I’ve no idea who), and Kronus watching the whole thing.



----------------
Now playing: Panic At The Disco - Camisado
via FoxyTunes

No comments: